Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get mic(s) to work Win7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iHateMakingUserNames

iHateMakingUserNames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hello, I am having trouble getting a mic to work as a recording device. I am trying to hook up for Skype and in game chat. I first tried using the mic from my usb webcam. The camera worked in Skype, but it did not detect a mic. I checked the control panel sounds, and under the recording tab, it is showing the mic, it has the checkmark, and that it is the default device, and it is enabled. The "meter" to the right is visible, but greyed out. When I looked under the levels tab, it was blank. I then hooked up a zoom recorder mic. via a line out jack into the mic input and line-in input. (mic jack, front and rear, and line-in all gave the same results). With this set up, the sounds box was the same as the webcam, I opened up the realtek manager and was able to un-mute and could control the levels/boost only in realtek. I could hear the mic constantly. Opened Skype, and still no mic. I then opened sound recorder, and a box popped up that said no audio recording device connected. I then borrowed a USB mic from my brother in law, that he uses for Skype. Same thing as the other two in control panel sounds. It was not showing up in the realtek manager, but I understand that  USB devices will not. I then download and install any windows updates that have not already been installed. No change. I then checked the audio drivers, and it says they are up to date. Not knowing what else to do, I uninstalled the realtek driver, and tried to reinstall. That was a BIG flop... I downloaded from the website, and it went through the whole setup wizard, and said it installed correctly, rebooted, and nothing worked. Not the speakers, headphones, or mic. I clicked roll back driver and rebooted, still nothing. Luckily I had created a restore point before I uninstalled and restored to that point. Even though I failed at reinstalling the driver I honestly don't think that was the issue, because the USB mic were not working either. It almost seems like it is disabled somehow, is there another location that could be disabled, or is the control panel the only place that handles audio devices? I'm lost, and extremely frustrated! Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated!  This is on a  gateway dx4860-ub21p windows 7 64bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

The USB should install its own drivers.  What do you see in device manager?

Here is what my device manager looks like with a USB headphone connected.

lIId855.png

Here is what my Control panel \ Sound looks like with the USB headset connected.

UAVA0Je.png

#3 iHateMakingUserNames

iHateMakingUserNames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for responding. I apologize, the bars on the right side of the sounds box were greyed out (like in your screenshot, but it would stay like that when talked into) ONLY for the zoom mic with the line out setup. The webcam and USB mic don't have a meter at all, like they're not plugged in. They are also showing up in device manager. I agree about the usb drivers, that's why I didn't think it was a big deal that I couldn't update the realtek drivers properly and had to restore. Here are some screenshots, hopefully will make it easier to understand. 

3qX8I2e.jpgW6DhIgG.jpgBDWWYVx.jpgU7klEXB.jpgxwA0GhM.jpg5oDRWLY.jpg

The wizard error is from control panel> set up microphone.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I'd suggest removing the Logitech USB microphone from control panel, remove the drivers also.  You won't be able to remove the USB unless it is connected.  Disconnect the USB microphone and reboot.  See if Logitech has drivers to install.  If Logitech has drivers, install them.  If they don't just reconnect the USB microphone and see if that resolves your issue.

#5 iHateMakingUserNames

iHateMakingUserNames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

I know I started this topic a long time ago, but I was still fighting it until last night. After trying everything I could possibly think of and actually digging myself in deeper by causing the speakers to also not work, I found a solution that I was a little weary about trying, but worked like a charm! I found it in another forum, I think toms hardware, but I'm not sure of the exact link. This article from PC gamer gives the exact commands to enter and a little more of an explanation. Hopefully this will help anyone else googling around with a similar issue. I know I was ready to pull my hair out, and the only answers I ever found were to check the drivers...(which I did numerous times).

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-most-frustrating-windows-7-audio-problem-solved/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users