Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio question.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 manxtothemax

manxtothemax

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hi everyone, New to the forums.

Just a simple question. Is it possible to play audio (Say from youtube for example) through my laptop's speakers whilst i have headphones on and all other programs on my computer play through my headphones. Ive tried fiddling with settings but by default everything just plays through headphones when i have them plugged in. I just want to make it so i can have my google tabs play through the laptops speakers yet everything else remain playing through headphones.

Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hi everyone, New to the forums.

Just a simple question. Is it possible to play audio (Say from youtube for example) through my laptop's speakers whilst i have headphones on and all other programs on my computer play through my headphones. Ive tried fiddling with settings but by default everything just plays through headphones when i have them plugged in. I just want to make it so i can have my google tabs play through the laptops speakers yet everything else remain playing through headphones.

Cheers!

To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible.

Your computer only has one audio system, so there's no way you can do what you're proposing.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

It is only possible if you are using a USB headset which has it's own sound controller. The regular headphone with 3.5mm jack will never work.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

It is only possible if you are using a USB headset which has it's own sound controller. The regular headphone with 3.5mm jack will never work.

I don't think so.

A normal computer has only one digital audio system.

It doesn't matter if it feeds the digital audio to headphones or speakers plugged into a USB port or sends it down the line to a D/A converter, it's still limited to only one source of audio.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

I don't think so.

It doesn't matter if it feeds the digital audio to headphones or speakers plugged into a USB port or sends it down the line to a D/A converter, it's still limited to only one source of audio.

It's possible and I just tested it for you. Youtube sound on pc speakers and WIndows media player sound on USB headset. 

speakers.jpg?psid=1

But I had to manually select which speakers to use for Windows Media player. But as I said. It's possible and can be done.

speakers2.jpg?psid=1

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

I don't think so.

It took me awhile to follow your very well drawn out instructions, and sure enough it works.

I've been trying to do this since forever.

I own you one.

Thanks a million.

It's possible and I just tested it for you. Youtube sound on pc speakers and WIndows media player sound on USB headset. 

speakers.jpg?psid=1

But I had to manually select which speakers to use for Windows Media player. But as I said. It's possible and can be done.

speakers2.jpg?psid=1

I'm dying for you to tell me how to do that.

I have an Asus X202e here, built in speakers and a pair of wireless USB Logitech headphones.

Naturally, I can get youtube and WMP to play simultaneously, but to either the speakers or the headphones, but not one audio/sound to each output, so please explain to me just how it is done.

Edited by rockysosua, 25 August 2014 - 11:37 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

To Badrobot,

It took me awhile to follow your very well drawn out instructions, and sure enough it works.

I own you one.

Thanks a million.

I really appreciate all the trouble you went to to make a simple to follow set of instructions.

I hope I can repay the favour one day.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

I am not sure about wireless USB. Mine is wired. But if you can see your USB under Control Panel>>> Sound>>> Playback tab, set it as default device (right-click).

To set the output speakers for WMP, go to Tools>>> Options>>> Devices tab>>>> double-click "Speakers" and select your desired output device.

Edited by badr0b0t, 25 August 2014 - 11:48 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

To Badrobot,

I own you one.

Thanks a million.

I really appreciate all the trouble you went to to make a simple to follow set of instructions.

I was just typing some more instructions for you when you sent this message. But I am glad you figured it out. 

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

To Badrobot,

I own you one.

Thanks a million.

I was just typing some more instructions for you when you sent this message. But I am glad you figured it out. 

Cheers!

Well, it was you who figured it out and I just managed to follow the yellow brick road.

Truth is that it's getting late and my eyes are burning and I hadn't fully taken in your wonderful well laid out map, the first time around.

I feel a bit embarrassed that I didn't give it my all the first time, and I'll say it once more, I REALLY appreciate all the effort you went to to help me and anyone else who is interested.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users