Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking a while to load app

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jespinosa101

Jespinosa101

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hey so I recently got my pc cleaned from a nasty Trojan and malware and it has been running perfectly but it takes time to load apps such as netflix. It takes some time to open so I was wondering if it supposed to take time or not and if there is a way to speed it up.

Here's the link to the topic of my malware removal
incase anyone needs to see it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543566/many-problems-and-malwarebytes-logs/?fromsearch=1

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Do all apps take longer or just certain apps, and if it's just a few, might they be those that need a lot of internet bandwidth,

In other words, maybe it's your internet or your machine's capacity to use bandwidth.

If all of your apps are slow, what about programs on the Desktop. Are they slower too?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Jespinosa101

Jespinosa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

All my apps are slow to open on my start menu on my desktop quite fast like a few seconds

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

All my apps are slow to open on my start menu on my desktop quite fast like a few seconds

So you're dealing with a damaged OS.

It's entirely possible that it can be tweaked and fixed back up to speed, but that depends on your tech skills.

At a certain point in any problem solving situation, one has to consider what it costs to fix vs brand new.

In this case, the cost is time.

As an example, if it were me, I'd go for fixing and tweaking, but only for so long.

If it wasn't running as smooth as a baby's bum in 2 hours, I'd be starting to think about recovery options.

The results would be better, but that job can take an awful long time too, so I guess the first question is, are you pretty tech savvy.

Are you familiar with all the tricks of stopping unwanted apps from starting by the task manager start tab, also in Services and task scheduler, or to go one step further, do you comfortably go into the registry?

The task ahead would be to get rid of any virus/malware residue, do a thing or two to get Windows running as it should, and finally, stop all unwanted processes.

If you want to take that route, I'll work with you.

In fact, if you want to go the recovery route, I'll assist you there too.

The thing is that only you know what you feel comfortable doing and you're also the only one who knows how much work you're willing to do, before opting for something like an OEM recovery, making your system brand new again.

It's your call.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 Jespinosa101

Jespinosa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

Well I wouldn't do the recovery route because all my past restore points are infected and if your talking about a factory reset no because my computer's recovery was infected by some nasty stuff and I think my pc would go into a automatic repair loop or hard drive failure if I did a factory reset. That's mainly what I've been afraid of doing. Also I'm familar task manager and my around a computer a bit I'm not a pro though, and I know how to disable or stop unwanted app. I don't know what you mean when you said are you comfortable with going into the registry.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

I don't know what you mean when you said are you comfortable with going into the registry.

It's been my observation that regular users, never go into the registry to do whatever.

I have to clean lots of computers of virus' and malware.

Some of the "clean up" is automated by scanners, leaving me time to do other things manually, including deleting registry entries related to virus' and malware.

When you do it as often as I do, you start to know the names of most of them, so it's easy to delete a whole bunch of them.

My reasoning is that some virus' and malware are smarter and sneakier than others, and it's been known to happen that after the scanners have finished cleaning up and after a reboot, you might find that there is this or that virus still running, whereas if their registry entries have been deleted, they simply can't run.

It's an extra and one of the last things I would do in a virus/malware clean up, but if I have time, it's one more nail in the coffin for the bad guys.

So that's what I was referring to.

Win 7 and 8 are somewhat different in procedures, but the fundamentals are there.

Scan with MB and SAS and your AV software (if you like), delete everything in the App Data's Local Temp folder, along with any other folders that you recognize as malware or virus'. ie: Conduit, Search Protect, etc.

Then go through "Services and change unwanted background processes to manual or disabled, depending on the nature of the process, and finally, in the task scheduler, stopping everything that you don't want to simply come on by itself at any particular time.

You'll find a whole bunch of non virus entries there, like google update will often slip 3 or 4 entries in, along with other programs like Adobe, etc, that want to launch either at boot up or periodically.

In the Windows entries, there are several that are set to come on to give reports to MSC.

You'll typically find 3 in Application Experience, and 5 in Customer Experience, then there's error reporting, media sharing, Windows Live, and a few more, that need not run and only serve to slow our machines down with absolutely no benefit for the user.

Of course there are other aspects on any given machine, perhaps a hard drive that is too full, or a corrupt hard drive, or a user who uses tons of security and live backup programs, that can bring a weak computer to its knees (ie Carbonite, etc).

Defragging can make a difference too.

I suppose I could go on and on about the little things one might do to do the ultimate perfect tweak, but the main 4 would be the scans, the manual clean up in AppData, changing settings in both Services and Task Scheduler. Naturally, any recognized virus or malware, could and should be uninstalled, if possible.

Those who lack registry experience, should probably stay out of there.

Saving your registry entries to protect yourself, won't do much for you if you can no longer boot the computer up, so it doesn't really protect you.

BTW: When I say "you", it could refer to me or the general you, and not necessarily you who I quoted.

Edited by rockysosua, 26 August 2014 - 07:20 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 Jespinosa101

Jespinosa101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

I did as you said and my pc is now faster by a bit so thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users