Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 shutting down unexpectedly when unattended

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 copycat

copycat

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hello,

I hope someone here can give some advice.

I have a desktop PC that I build a couple of year ago, Initially I had windows 7 until last week when I updated to win 8.1. I have used the computer without any issues, however, I usually leave the computer on at night, and a couple of times in the morning the computer is off for no apparent reason.

I checked the settings to make sure it is on "never" sleep or shutdown when unattended. But still I have found the computer off in the morning (but not always).

Also the PC has never shutdown automatically when I am working on it, only at night when I am not using it.

At first I thought it was because of the automatic updates doing things on the background, so I went ahead and did every single important and optional update available, but still last night I left it on, and the dammed  thing was off in the morning.

I don't know what is going on.

Thank in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hello,

I hope someone here can give some advice.

I have a desktop PC that I build a couple of year ago, Initially I had windows 7 until last week when I updated to win 8.1. I have used the computer without any issues, however, I usually leave the computer on at night, and a couple of times in the morning the computer is off for no apparent reason.

I checked the settings to make sure it is on "never" sleep or shutdown when unattended. But still I have found the computer off in the morning (but not always).

Also the PC has never shutdown automatically when I am working on it, only at night when I am not using it.

At first I thought it was because of the automatic updates doing things on the background, so I went ahead and did every single important and optional update available, but still last night I left it on, and the dammed  thing was off in the morning.

I don't know what is going on.

Thank in advance.

There's another thread with near identical issues.

Not that any solution has been found yet, but it may be beneficial for you to read or join in.

Naturally, you could look at your Winodws logs and most likely find what makes it shut down.

Edited by rockysosua, 25 August 2014 - 08:25 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 copycat

copycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:50 AM

Thank you,

I think my issue might have been solved, but still I have to test it for a couple of days.

The problem was that the power plan settings shown by default by windows do not include the hibernation option, only the sleep, so I had to go to advanced setting to set hibernate to "never". I hope that was the issue and not something else.

Thank you 

rockysosua

for your windows logs tip, that led me to see that the system was going to sleep after idle.

However.... I still don't know why the log said that "The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: System Idle" when it should have said something along the lines of "The system is entering hibernation. Hibernation Reason: System Idle" since my sleep was already on never. I'll just wait and see if it happens again.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thank you,

I think my issue might have been solved, but still I have to test it for a couple of days.

The problem was that the power plan settings shown by default by windows do not include the hibernation option, only the sleep, so I had to go to advanced setting to set hibernate to "never". I hope that was the issue and not something else.

Thank you 

rockysosua

for your windows logs tip, that led me to see that the system was going to sleep after idle.

However.... I still don't know why the log said that "The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: System Idle" when it should have said something along the lines of "The system is entering hibernation. Hibernation Reason: System Idle" since my sleep was already on never. I'll just wait and see if it happens again.

That would be grand, if you've fixed it through the power options.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users