Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer seems to turn on; nothing works

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toddtoldmeto

toddtoldmeto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

I have a Dell desktop -- XPS -- OS Windows 8.1.

A few days ago, I got a failure message on my computer that said it needed to restart (I wasn't using the computer when it happened; it was sitting idle). Upon restart, my keyboard wouldn't work. I borrowed a friend's keyboard today and logged in. Things looked OK. I did some work on it and left it on. When I went back to use it this evening, it won't "wake up." The light on the borrowed keyboard isn't turning on, the mouse light isn't on. The power light is on (white -- not on standby, which is yellow). The monitor light is on sleep mode (white) and when I click the button on the side it says it is not receiving any input from the computer.

Since I couldn't get it to wake, I did a hard restart (held the power button for eight seconds), then let it sit for a few minutes before trying to turn it back on. The power light comes on and the fan runs, but nothing else is on.

I don't think there's a hard drive light on the computer, so I can't tell if it's working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi toddtoldmeto. Did you happen to have changed power default settings and enabled sleep or hibernation? The power saving option on desktops are not hardly recommended as it is a make or break feature in Windows. I would suggest to turn off sleep or hibernate then check the difference as it would be better to just power off the desktop or just the monitor if you need the computer to stay open.

The monitor light is on sleep mode (white) and when I click the button on the side it says it is not receiving any input from the computer.

Since I couldn't get it to wake, I did a hard restart (held the power button for eight seconds), then let it sit for a few minutes before trying to turn it back on. The power light comes on and the fan runs, but nothing else is on.

I don't think there's a hard drive light on the computer, so I can't tell if it's working.

There is a possibility that a hardware have failed internally such as a hard drive, PSU or video card, etc. but hopefully it is not the case. You may need to open the desktop powered off and unplug and remove the side casing and try to reset hardware configurations by removing the CMOS battery, motherboard power cable for a couple of minutes then press the power button for atleast 30 seconds. Make sure to touch the metal casing to discharge static electricity from your body. By the way, :welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Community. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users