Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why doe Skype, after it has been installed, keep invoking UAC prompts ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paul456

paul456

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hi all, I have just joined your formum as I have a number of acumulated queries re. Windows 7.   To keep it clear, will divided them into separate posts.  This first one is re. Skype which I have used many years on Windows XP and until recently on another pc with Windows7 without issue.    My latest pc has Win7 Pro 64-bit, and I am surprised, that after installing Skype, each time I run it from the desktop icon, I get a UAC prompt do I want to allow Skype to make changes.   I installed with same preference as on previous machines, only to load on request, i.e not start when Windows is booted.

Apart from that, Skype runs as it usually does.

Can anyone tell me what is causing UAC prompt to appear each time I run it, and how to fix it ?

I thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:35 AM

All my programs do this, it is because I have a high level on UAC.  To stop this you must lower your UAC level in Windows. 

Here is a guide from Microsoft on how to adjust UAC in Windows 7 & 8.

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 paul456

paul456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for your tip.   I looked in my UAC Setting which were set to 1 down from most secure - which I believe is the default installation.   Taking UAC down 1, gave the MS message, not recommended;  but it did not stop Skype from triggering UAC.  I had to switch off UAC completely to stop it prompting on Skype.   If Skype can't design their program to avoid triggering the UAC, I will just have to live with it, as like you, I don't want to lower my protection below the default - as I can't think of any other App I use that triggers it.   What annoys me about Skype the last few years, is that the earlier much simpler UI that just focused on being a phone, (no video, no nags, no space wasted on adverts, only weakness was the lousy Address Book) I kept on my previous WinXP laptop, was deemed 'incompatible' with Win7, and the newer bigger ad supported version used to keep nagging to be upgraded, and finally refused to run until I 'accepted' an 'upgrade'

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

Yeah, Skype went down when Microsoft purchased it.  Now its jammed packed full of crap.  Remember you want the Highest level of UAC you can live with.  This keeps unwanted programs and code from running in the background without you knowing about it.  I dont mind it, rather have that then a fried machine. Also another good tip is to make a second account at the user level, and use that for web browsing.  Its a good thing to do when online.  Meaning, you should not browse online with a admin account if you can help it.  Make both accounts password protected.  This will add another layer of protection something will have to go through to infect your device.

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users