Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Google Earth

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 9bware

9bware

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I have used Google Earth for years, but all of a sudden it wouldn't load.  The only thing that had changed on my computer was my firewall - I went from Comodo to Zone Alarm.  I tried turning off Zone Alarm, but still no Google Earth.  So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but the download wouldn't install - just said "installing" but nothing happened.  I let it go for about fifteen minutes, but nothing.  I tried again with both my firewall and my anti-virus (AdAware) turned off, but again nothing.  I have a Dell 560 Inspiron, 6GB memory, Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit.  I have Time-Warner Cable and am using both Firefox and Google Chrome as broiwsers.  Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I wouldn't touch Zone Alarm with a ten foot pole. it's worse than malware. And you don't need it. Windows Firewall is adequate for Windows 7. So I would remove Zone Alarm using this removal tool.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/zonealarm-uninstall-tool/

Ad Aware isn't an antivirus. It's an anti spyware scanner that was popular ten years ago but isn't recommended anymore.

#3 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

wholeheartedly agree with frank, install "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" (MBAM) and run a scan with it after you have removed zonealarm. I recommend Avast free Anti-Virus, i find it very strong and the price is right!

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#4 9bware

9bware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

Thanks, frankp316 and Man_1n_Black, I followed your advice and it worked.  Although I had tried turning off Zone Alarm without success, I guess I had to completely uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users