Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Laptop Would YOU Prefer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mathnerdm

mathnerdm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Hi everyone, I recently posted a thread comparing two asus laptops, but I decided against one of them so I'm starting a new thread. I'm a moderate-high computer user but use it more for streaming netflix, some in-browser style gaming, spotify/itunes, etc... I do a lot of multitasking so a computer with a good processor is pretty important to me personally. Now I'm not a big computer guy, so I'm here to ask you guys for an educated opinion on 2 laptops I'm deciding against. 

Asus - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-notebook-8-gb-memory-1-tb-hard-drive/1311358774.p?id=mp1311358774&skuId=1311358774&st=asus%20laptop&cp=4&lp=4#tab=buyingOptions

Toshiba - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-satin-gold/7802038.p?id=1219294101070&skuId=7802038

I know the Toshiba is a relatively large amount more, but that asus is the only one I found with the specs I think I need/want. What do yall think? Do you know of any issues with these specific models or maybe about the brand? Which would be more reliable? I've heard mixed opinions about Toshiba's (given I've read more about Toshiba). And for what I'll be using it for, which would yall take? Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Micah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 djmiiller

djmiiller

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I would go with the Toshiba. It may be more expensive but that core i7 will help everything run smoother like Netflix and browser style gaming. I also haven't heard anything about either of this models having any issues. Hope that helps.

DJ

Edited by djmiiller, 25 August 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#3 mathnerdm

mathnerdm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

I would go with the Toshiba. It may be more expensive but that core i7 will help everything run smoother like Netflix and browser style gaming. I also haven't heard anything about either of this models having any issues. Hope that helps.

DJ

Thanks for the quick reply, I really liked the idea of having the i7 processor over an i5. Only problem is it's not in stock where I'm looking but I'll start searching around. If anybody does still have any opinions (even if it's just reassuring the toshiba) I'd really appreciate it! Thanks much

#4 djmiiller

djmiiller

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

No problem. You could try amazon.com they might have it.

DJ

#5 mathnerdm

mathnerdm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

No problem. You could try amazon.com they might have it.

DJ

Well here's a problem/question. After looking it up on amazon, there are 2 basically identical models, but the graphic card. I'll post a link to both. The question is, the one that is $800 like at bestbuy's website has a different graphic card (and is just a different model) then the one on bestbuy's website. The one that IS the same model as the best buy one has a hybrid graphic card which I have no idea the difference between the two. The price for the one with the hybrid GC is like $150 more on amazon so it's out of the question. Is it worth waiting for the best buy company to get it in or is the graphic card not too important for me since I don't do much gaming. Sorry if it's hard to follow but I'll post the amazon links below. Thanks again and I really would appreciate any input!

The same model as at best buy but far more expensive - 

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-B5266-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KDIT9G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409002294&sr=8-2&keywords=S55B5266

A slightly different one with what I assume to be a downgraded graphic card but the same price as best buy - 

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-B5258-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KDIT97Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=116CQK6N22PVV74PDYQR

#6 djmiiller

djmiiller

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

I would personally go with the Toshiba Satellite s55-B5266 (the more expensive one). That AMD Radeon M260 with hybrid will really help out with watching Netflix and gaming. With the mobile Intel graphics it might be a bit lag a bit on games. So out of those two I would have to go with the S55-B5266. Do you have a certain price range you cant go over? I could look up some laptops and see what I can find if you want. 

thanks

DJ

#7 mathnerdm

mathnerdm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

I would personally go with the Toshiba Satellite s55-B5266 (the more expensive one). That AMD Radeon M260 with hybrid will really help out with watching Netflix and gaming. With the mobile Intel graphics it might be a bit lag a bit on games. So out of those two I would have to go with the S55-B5266. Do you have a certain price range you cant go over? I could look up some laptops and see what I can find if you want. 

thanks
DJ

Thanks so much for the help and offer, but I ended up purchasing the Toshiba last night. I have a huge computer "nerd" uncle who said it looks awesome and that the processor was really good, so I took the plunge. I need it for school this week so I couldn't post pone it too long. Thanks again everyone!

Edited by mathnerdm, 26 August 2014 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users