Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown User A/c

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

I just had occasion to go to Control Panel/User Accounts to change something on my account as owner and administrator and found this unknown account had been installed:

ASP.NET Machine Account
Limited account
Password Protected

I've never seen this account before. My PC is just back from the repair shop so I have been reinstalling quite a lot over the last few days and suspect that this may be something to do with .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.

Any ideas?? Should I leave it or delete it??

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

Get Started with ASP.NET

ASP.NET is a technology for building powerful, dynamic Web applications and is part of the .NET Framework.
Developer Productivity

ASP.NET helps you deliver real world Web applications in record time. To see this in action, watch this video to see how easy it is to build a cross-browser Ajax-enabled web task list application from scratch using ASP.NET 2.0, Atlas, and the free Visual Web Developer development tool.
Easy Programming Model

ASP.NET makes building real world Web applications dramatically easier. ASP.NET server controls enable an HTML-like style of declarative programming that lets you build great pages with far less code than with classic ASP or technologies like PHP or JSP. Best of all, ASP.NET pages work in all browsers including Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Internet Explorer. There are a number of Webcasts available to show you how you can migrate your skills to ASP.NET.
Starter kits Great Tool Support

A broad range of tools support development with ASP.NET. You can work with a simple text editor (even Notepad), take advantage of the freely available Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, or work with a full-powered integrated development environment, such as Visual Studio 2005. For enterprise developers, Visual Studio Team System 2005 includes additional tools for stress-testing and designing Web applications.
Starter Kits

Not sure how to get started building an ASP.NET Web site? Download one of the ASP.NET Starter Kits ready-built Web sites using best practices to help you see how a site should be created. Starter Kits for personal, club, portal and e-commerce Web sites are already available, and both Microsoft and third parties are making many more available.
Easy to get started

Quickly get up to speed programming with ASP.NET by following along with the QuickStart tutorials. Read a guided tour of Visual Web Developer to become familiar with its features. Access the broad and growing community support for ASP.NET.
Improved Design

ASP.NET helps you create appealing, functional Web applications.
design Master Pages

ASP.NET makes it easy to create and apply a common look-and-feel to your Web site with Master Pages. Change the Master Page, and all pages automatically update to reflect those changes. See this video for more information on Master Pages.
Themes

Give your Web pages a consistent appearance with the built-in theming support in ASP.NET. Easily organize and apply changes to stylesheets and controls by applying a new theme to your pages. See this video for more information on the Theme support in ASP.NET.
Built Upon Standards

ASP.NET helps you create pages compliant with international standards.
XHTML Compliance

Creating XHTML-compliant pages is easy with ASP.NET. Web controls support rendering valid, well-formed XHTML markup with a simple configuration option. This article provides an overview of why creating XHTML markup is important, and how ASP.NET makes it easy.
Accessibility Support

Create Web applications usable by the widest possible audience support for building and testing accessible Web applications. See this article for more information on accessibility support in ASP.NET.
Improved Security

ASP.NET helps you protect your data and users.
Application Services

There is no need to write common code for managing users and personalization with ASP.NET, as these features are included as application services. ASP.NET membership services provide best practices guidance and support for managing access to your Web applications. Watch this video for more information on adding membership and personalization features to your Web applications.
Built-in Protection

ASP.NET provides built-in protection from many common forms of hacker attacks, including cross-site scripting, request-replay attacks and more. See this article for more information on common exploits, and how you can protect your Web applications using ASP.NET.
Improved Performance and Scalability

ASP.NET lets you use serve more users with the same hardware.
Visual Web Developer Caching

Caching can dramatically improve the performance of Web applications, and ASP.NET supports many forms of caching. Output caching improves the rendering of controls to XHTML. Database caching enables the application to be notified when the underlying database changes, eliminating unnecessary queries. See this video for more information on ASP.NET's caching support.
Web-Farm Session State

ASP.NET session state lets you share session data user-specific state values across all machines in your Web farm. Now a user can hit different servers in the web farm over multiple requests and still have full access to her session. See this article for more information on configuring ASP.NET session state.
Extensible Architecture

ASP.NET can grow and change with your needs.
Provider Model

The application services of ASP.NET use the provider model to connect to external services for storage and more. This enables the developer to change the database or other service used to store the membership, personalization or site map information by editing the configuration. This article series showcases how you can extend ASP.NET via the provider model.
Web Parts

Easily build portal applications with the built-in Web part functionality. Create Web applications that enable end users to organize and personalize their page content and layout. This video shows how you take advantage of Web parts to create highly customizable Web page
http://asp.net/getstarted/default.aspx?tabid=61

It may have been part of something else you use.

Before deleting it, first disable it in your start menu and see what effects it has on any programs or web browsing.

I suggest getting Startup instpector to use for this purpose. It is easier to use, less chance of making mistakes as it ties the listed ap to the program that is originating it.

Startup Inspector
And
Startup Monitor

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Get Startup Monitor while you're there too. It notifies you whan any ap (like Realplayer, etc, tries to load itself into the start menu and requires your permission for it to be loaded to autostart.

Spybot and msconfig can be used to do this too, but the small (and free ap, Startup monitor) is easier to use and is not as prone yo your making mistakes.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php Look here

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for that Enthusiast.
When I Googled it, that led me to believe it was something to do with the .Net Framework. Looks like I may be able to build a web page afterall. Cheers
I have tried Startup Inspector in the past, but WinPatrol seems to do a good job in this regard. Thanks again,
also buddy215

Edited by rowal5555, 05 June 2006 - 07:08 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

As long as you can accomplish managing the startup menu without making errors such as stopping essential aps that's fine.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:43 AM

Thanks. I will get that Startup Monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users