Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's going on with my RAM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brennenvdp

brennenvdp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

My computer says that it has 8 gigabytes of memory, but it gets slow after I use 4 gigabytes.

I'm also unsure why 4 gigabytes is 87% of my memory:

Attached File  Untitled-1.gif   25.92KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

My computer says that it has 8 gigabytes of memory, but it gets slow after I use 4 gigabytes.

I'm also unsure why 4 gigabytes is 87% of my memory:

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.gif

You are looking at the "User" area of the task manager, and it is showing you that there is a total of 87% of your ram being used and that 4 gigs of it is from the "User" applications, that is to say that they are not Windows processes.

More importantly, you have way too much load on that computer and it is no surprise that it's slowing down.

Either you have too many processes running at the same time, or there are unwanted processes running in the backgorund, or both.

It would be interesting to get the same screenshot as you just posted, after a fresh reboot, allowing a good 60 seconds to pass before taking the screenshot.

We could start with that and take it from there.

BTW: It is understandable that someone with an i7 computer with 8 gigs of ram, will expect the machine to have no limits, but it does eventually slow down or stop, once you reach the max that it can take.

In short, I understand where you're coming from.

I have the same type of set up on one of my puters, and I get all surprised, if ever it doesn't fly like a bullet, and for the most part, the only reason it ever slows down is because I leave way too many processes running at the same time.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 brennenvdp

brennenvdp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the response rockysosua. I found my total memory usage in the performance tab of the task manager. 2,500(6500-4000) megabytes aren't accounted for in the memory used by the user. I will try restarting my computer to see if that number decreases, because 2,500 seems a little high.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the response rockysosua. I found my total memory usage in the performance tab of the task manager. 2,500(6500-4000) megabytes aren't accounted for in the memory used by the user. I will try restarting my computer to see if that number decreases, because 2,500 seems a little high.

2,500 megs is not all that high for a machine with 8 gigs of ram.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Windows helps itself to more ram, the more physical ram you have.

That is to say that if you removed 4 gigs, the 2,500 might reduce to a bit below 2,000 and if you added more ram, Windows would help itself to even more at an idle.

Do you know what I mean?

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users