Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Gone - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jjankowski79

jjankowski79

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

Today I was using surfing the net on my laptop through my wireless connection. One minute I'm fine and the next poof my wireless is completely gone. It was very bizarre. My kindle and phone were connected to my internet. However, I restarted my computer, router and Time Warner internet box several times to make sure. Each time my computer restarted the wireless button at the top of the keyboard stays lit orange instead of white/blue. It simply will no longer connect to the internet wirelessly. I clicked troubleshoot and every time it asks me to connect through ethernet. At first even that wouldn't work. I unplugged the router and the cable, reconnected everything back up, restarted my computer. Still the wireless button won't turn on the wireless but this time the ethernet worked and I am now able to be online.

However, if you could please let me know how I can restore the wireless function to my computer I would be so grateful. 

Additionally, doing a quick search online about similar issues I went to my network and sharing, change adapter settings and do not have Wireless as an option. There is only Local Area Connection Network 3 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and Local Area Connection 2 Network Cable Unplugged Intel® Centrino® WiMax 6150 listed. I have no idea what these are and don't want to touch them for fear of making the matter worse.

Thanks,

Jenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller  is your Ethernet controller

Intel® Centrino® WiMax 6150  is your Wireless and it shows as Network Cable Unplugged

It's possible the wireless card has failed.

Is there a yellow exclamation mark under Network Adapters in Device Manager.  What OS are you using?

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Is your laptop still under warranty?  By the sounds of it your wifi controller died.  You would replace it with a usb wifi dongle.

WiMax is not wifi like connect to your router wifi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

Do you have one or two Ethernet ports in the laptop?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

In this case, the Intel does double duty as both a WiFi card and a wireless display adapter, so you can connect to a TV or monitor wirelessly to either display the desktop, or extend the desktop to a second screen.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'd recommend removing it from Device Manager and rebooting the machine and let Windows find and install it again.  You may also need to update your drivers and your BIOS before you consider it a hardware issue.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

"and do not have Wireless as an option"

Appears device manager isn't seeing the hardware anymore.

You would not do a bios firmware update unless this was a known problem and the update addressed it.

#7 jjankowski79

jjankowski79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for your input. I actually recovered the computer to the last back up date and my problem was fixed. I have wireless again! 

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like you may have been hit by malware.  Keep your antivirus/antimalware software updated.

#9 Guest_PhoenixRisen_*

Guest_PhoenixRisen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for your input. I actually recovered the computer to the last back up date and my problem was fixed. I have wireless again! 

I have been having the EXACT same problem for a few months now with my Kindle and Wi-fi. I am spending the bucks to have a technician from my ISP come to correct the problem. May I ask if there appeared to be more than one profile with Admin rights? That is the error message that keeps stopping me... no Admin rights. Thank you jj for your time and attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users