Has anyone ever witnessed this issue?
I have a system (Core 2 Duo, 2.5GHz) on the bench, no owner as it was donated by an office along with others. No HDD either. It has a aftermarket Coolermaster 460w PSU- the kind we sell out of our office. I added a 500GB WD IDE and started to install XP Pro (case has the key) and the system would shut down during the initialization setup. It would not power on until I had unplugged and re plugged it in. Obvious sign of overheating, right?
I still have the case open, so I started checking connections and I could immediately feel a lot of heat radiating from the PCI slots and the CMOS battery. The battery was so hot it burnt my fingers, but the heat seems to be originating around the PCI slots. I can't find any evidence of bad caps, burnt connections, shorts, or otherwise.
I swapped out the battery with a working used one just in case the battery was somehow bad (shorting?) but same issue persists.
My question is this: Could the PSU be pushing too much voltage, or dirty power? Or is this an obvious bad motherboard?
I don't know anything of its history, except that the system was hand-built, probably by us, a few years ago.