Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes - Malicious Website Protection DISABLED

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

As I've said before, I always taken extra steps to insure our systems are protected.  I helped a friend about a month ago, which included installing Malwarebytes.  During the process, I backed (created a ZIP file) of (Windows 8):

C:\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\

Well, my friend got the message "Malware Protection Enabled, Malicious Website Protection DISABLED" last night.  Numerous reboots didn't help.  He brought his computer over, I took the ZIP file, and unzipped the files into the original location (after a full scan with AVAST and Malwarebytes), rebooted, and all was fine.  Then another scan (AVAST and Malwarebytes) was done, after Malwarebytes checked the updates to make sure they were current.

This is an idea to consider.  I've seen a post here, and on other sites, with the same complaint.  I know that this won't help a current problem, where a person hasn't backed up C:\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\, but it will at least help you next time.

For people is the current problem.  I suggest that you uninstall MB, make sure that the above folder is gone, then reinstall and try it again.  If it works, then backup C:\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\.  On other OS's, it up to you to find the proper location.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

Avast also has a browsing protection feature. It's possible that the 2 are conflicting and Avast disables the other one.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Nope, never had an issue with MB/Avast.  On other sites, the people had different programs running (e.g. comodo, mcafee, etc) that experienced the same issue.

Have a great day!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 25 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Nope, never had an issue with MB/Avast.  On other sites, the people had different programs running (e.g. comodo, mcafee, etc) that experienced the same issue.

Have a great day!

So what are you talking about here? You lost me dude.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:
* How to fully Uninstall/Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
* How to fully Uninstall/Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - MBAM Clean Removal Process 1.75

-- If using the Premium version, you will need to reactivate Malwarebytes' using the license ID and key you were sent by email. Make sure you save that information so it is readily available when reinstalling.
-- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab and check for updates if not done during installation.
-- Restart the computer again and verify that Malwarebytes is showing in the task tray if using the Premium version. Then setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Have a great day!

As I explained my friend got "Malware Protection Enabled, Malicious Website Protection DISABLED" last night from MB.  I explained how I resolved the issue, in case someone else gets it and/or can prepare for the possibility.

Have a great day!

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Have a great day!

As I explained my friend got "Malware Protection Enabled, Malicious Website Protection DISABLED" last night from MB.  I explained how I resolved the issue, in case someone else gets it and/or can prepare for the possibility.

Have a great day!

Okay.

But isn't the way to fix disabled feature is just to re-enable them on Preferences?

or if whenever you are having issues with Malwarebytes or even Google Chrome or any third party software. Just like what quietman said, uninstall and reinstall them. But thanks for sharing.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

But isn't the way to fix disabled feature is just to re-enable them on Preferences?

In most cases but sometimes the re-enable does not work as intended so the easiest solution is just to uninstall/reinstall. Of course you could always contact Malwarebytes support and provide Diagnostics logs for them to investigate if you are more concerned in figuring out why this happened.

#9 wangrin99

wangrin99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:36 AM

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:
* How to fully Uninstall/Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
* How to fully Uninstall/Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - MBAM Clean Removal Process 1.75

-- If using the Premium version, you will need to reactivate Malwarebytes' using the license ID and key you were sent by email. Make sure you save that information so it is readily available when reinstalling.
-- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab and check for updates if not done during installation.
-- Restart the computer again and verify that Malwarebytes is showing in the task tray if using the Premium version. Then setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

This solution worked for me! 

Before that I cleant my system with the different modules RKILL, ADWARE COMBO FIX, etc. but the issue of "malicious website protection disabled" in my newly installed malwarebyte premium remained. After unistall/reinstall ( a blast) everything was fine. I noticed that this problem only started once I got the premium version. I had no trouble while using the free version for a month.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

Malwarebytes must be receiving a lot of reports because they released this yesterday.

Malicious Website Protection disabled Fix

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Step 6 is an addition from the original post. I ended up going to step 5 to fix mine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,607 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

Yes in most cases folks will only need to complete through step 5.

Step 6 just includes a link to redownload and reinstall the Malwarebytes setup file over the existing install which many folks tend to do as a first step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users