Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Refresh, Restore or Automatic Repair in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 riemer46

riemer46

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Due to my Asus 64-bit Laptop with Windows 8.1 running very slow and having often Windows Update Errors, I decided to try System Restore, but it was stuck for hours on "preparing files" so I shut the computer down.  But when I started it up again, the Restore continued for an hour and then restarted. I received the error "unable to restore to system restore point". 

I decided to do a Refresh of Drive C. On many tries, I received the error message "The drive where windows is installed is locked, try again". Since this didn't work, I tried restoring to a recent System Image I had on an external drive.  I got the error message "versions of windows don't match...". Then I tried Automatic Repair and got "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC". 

I have since used sfc/scannow and in the CBS Log there is an entry many times that says: Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]. 

I read somewhere on the net that this might have to do with the Partitions...so I looked at them, and was suprised to see 3 extra partitions of about 300MB each that I had never seen there before...

I will include here the logs from Adwcleaner, Junkware removal, Farbars MiniToolbox and Farbars Service Scanner.

I would really like to Refresh my computer.  I have no Recovery DVD at my location and want to avoid loss of my personal files.  Please let me know if you can help me to solve this problem.

Thanks very much, Mark

Attached Files

Edited by riemer46, 25 August 2014 - 09:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Due to my Asus 64-bit Laptop with Windows 8.1 running very slow and having often Windows Update Errors, I decided to try System Restore, but it was stuck for hours on "preparing files" so I shut the computer down.  But when I started it up again, the Restore continued for an hour and then restarted. I received the error "unable to restore to system restore point". 

I decided to do a Refresh of Drive C. On many tries, I received the error message "The drive where windows is installed is locked, try again". Since this didn't work, I tried restoring to a recent System Image I had on an external drive.  I got the error message "versions of windows don't match...". Then I tried Automatic Repair and got "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC". 

I have since used sfc/scannow and in the CBS Log there is an entry many times that says: Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]. 

I read somewhere on the net that this might have to do with the Partitions...so I looked at them, and was suprised to see 3 extra partitions of about 300MB each that I had never seen there before...

I will include here the logs from Adwcleaner, Junkware removal, Farbars MiniToolbox and Farbars Service Scanner.

I would really like to Refresh my computer.  I have no Recovery DVD at my location and want to avoid loss of my personal files.  Please let me know if you can help me to solve this problem.

Thanks very much, Mark

I don't have all the answers but I will tell you what I do know.

When you get that notification that the hard drive is locked, it usually means that the hard drive can not be used, that is to say that it is damaged or not even present.

So, that being the case, it's almost sure that the disk is corrupt.

The best way to fix that is through a command while the system is running and when you choose the partition that you're using, yoiu'll be told that Windows can't do the diskcheck with the OS running and it will offfer to do it at the next reboot.

Unfortunately, the normal way of accessing this type of scan from Tools in Computer properties, now does a lightweight job with the system running and I have never successfully repaired a hard drive with that method.

Once you open your command window, I suggest you copy and paste the following command.   chkdsk /r C:

All is well in Paradise.

#3 riemer46

riemer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for your quick reply Rocky.

I ran the chkdsk /r C: this morning and it took 2 hours. It was stuck on 12% for quite a long time and then just restarted by itself.  No logs appeared to tell me whether a problem was found OR corrected, so I don't know what the results of the check were.

However, when I tried to Refresh, I got the same error message: "Drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock and try again".  

The Laptop seems to be running fine, BUT I still can't use System Restore and REFRESH....any other suggestions on how to unlock Drive:C, or possible reasons for this error message??

As a last ditch effort, I've just tried to "Erase everything and reinstall Windows"....but I get the error message: "cannot find recovery environment".  I've attached a Screenshot of the Partition Manager and there seem to be 2 recovery partitions for Drive C.....so why do I get that error??

Attached Files

Edited by riemer46, 26 August 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for your quick reply Rocky.

I ran the chkdsk /r C: this morning and it took 2 hours. It was stuck on 12% for quite a long time and then just restarted by itself.  No logs appeared to tell me whether a problem was found OR corrected, so I don't know what the results of the check were.

However, when I tried to Refresh, I got the same error message: "Drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock and try again".  

The Laptop seems to be running fine, BUT I still can't use System Restore and REFRESH....any other suggestions on how to unlock Drive:C, or possible reasons for this error message??

As a last ditch effort, I've just tried to "Erase everything and reinstall Windows"....but I get the error message: "cannot find recovery environment".  I've attached a Screenshot of the Partition Manager and there seem to be 2 recovery partitions for Drive C.....so why do I get that error??

Good Morning Riemer,

Posting that screenshot of the hard drive in Disk Management was brilliant.

1: The diskcheck taking hours and appearing to be stuck on 12% are both normal for Windows 8 machines.

2: I've noticed that you have a lot of data on your OS and Data drives, which might indicate high usage of this machine, is that correct?

3: That large amount of data should be backed up pronto, if it isn't already done.

4: the amount of partitions you have is fairly normal for Win 8 machines.

5: What is not normal in that screenshot is that one of the 300 meg partitions, shows as unnalocated.

This would be a good time to repeat that I don't have all the answers, but here is how I see it.

I think we were right in deducing that the hard drive was corrupt, as evidenced by two things, the unnalocated partition and the fact that the computer is now faster after a diskcheck/repair.

I have never seen an unnalocated partition, such as you have, on a Win 8 type machine Those tiny partitions of less than 1 gig in size, normally can't even be attained and all you can get out of them from a right click is the "Help" option.

In other words, the User doesn't have the capacity to delete a partition so as to have it show a status of being unnalocated.

I can only conclude from this, that the hard drive got damaged, perhaps not pernanently, so it might be physically healthy and repairable, but this unnalocated partition is surely the missing component in the puzzle, that won't allow Windows to refresh the entire system, thus the message that the drive is locked.

As of this moment, I have no "brilliant" ideas as to what to do about it, unless you tell me that your friend or neighbour has the identical machine for us to clone.

I don't think that there is any other way to fix that partition, at least not to my knowledge.

It might be possible to copy data to that partition in Linux, if you had an identical drive to copy from, but that's a useless idea, as we'd be cloning the drive instead, if you truly could get your hands on the identical drive.

So.... at this point, I'm stumped.

Perhaps our friend Google has something to say about fixing that partition, but somehow, I doubt it.

Two heads are better than one, so maybe you can come up with a suggestion to get this problem fixed.

Naturally, I'll be thinking about the issue and will post immediately, if I come up with something and in the meantime, I'd like to repeat the reminder to back up ALL your data, as there is a chance that your hard drive is on the way out. There's a folder in the C drive called eSupport that is worth copying. It contains drivers and software for your machine and if it comes to having to rebuild the system from scratch, it'll come in handy.

The easiest way to know if the drive itelf is now healthy, is by usage.

If it still feels speedy after a few days of usage, your A OK.

If it starts to slow down and do glitchy things, then turn it off and get prepared to do a lot of copying and hope that the internal hard drive survives the job.

Losing the ability to use the Win 8 recovery features is big. It's a problem today and a problem for the future, so we have to think in the long term too.

In the meantime, we can look at Band-Aid type solutions, but that would involve you getting your hands on a Windows 8.1 installation disc.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 riemer46

riemer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Thanks again...been googling partitions all morning.....the computer never was running badly. I just noticed some small glitches and wanted to Refresh my system back to "virginal" new.  I have all my files backed up and made a system Image just a few days ago.  But the fact that I will never be able to Restore or Refresh, makes me very worried for the future.  Here's hoping I never need that feature!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 riemer46

riemer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Here's the ChkDsk results DC3, thanks for the reply

Attached Files

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Here's the ChkDsk results DC3, thanks for the reply

It did fix some things, but I've seen a lot worse.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Thanks again...been googling partitions all morning.....the computer never was running badly. I just noticed some small glitches and wanted to Refresh my system back to "virginal" new.  I have all my files backed up and made a system Image just a few days ago.  But the fact that I will never be able to Restore or Refresh, makes me very worried for the future.  Here's hoping I never need that feature!

This is a really tough one.

For one, I've never run into this exact situation, and for two, even if/when I run into the locked hard drive syndrome, I have Win 8 and 8.1 installation DVD's, so at the very least, I can get it up and running again, as good as new, minus the recovery features.

So even if you get your hands on a Win 8.1 disc, it still doesn't do much for future problems, mind you, if it is your own disc that you can keep, then you can use recovery features that are built into the installation DVD.

So things like the restore that can refresh your system without losing your data, are possible with the DVD, if the OS was installed from that DVD.

I hope I explained that well enough.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

I should have added, I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it is.  This is why I specifically stated to copy and paste this in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

I should have added, I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it is.  This is why I specifically stated to copy and paste this in your topic.

Here you go.

ListChkdskResult by SleepyDude v0.1.7 Beta | 21-09-2013

------< Log generate on 26-8-2014 17:20:54 >------
Category: 0
Computer Name: MarksNewpc
Event Code: 1001
Record Number: 177980
Source Name: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Time Written: 08-26-2014 @ 08:49:37
Event Type: Information
User:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is OS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  401664 file records processed.                                                        

File verification completed.
  8566 large file records processed.                                   

0 bad file records processed.                                     

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  508978 index entries processed.                                                       

Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                        

0 unindexed files recovered.                                      

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 1425 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1425 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1425 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  53658 data files processed.                                           

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  38296568 USN bytes processed.                                                           

Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  401648 files processed.                                                               

File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  56918491 free clusters processed.                                                       

Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

390345727 KB total disk space.
 161959236 KB in 304447 files.
    191128 KB in 53659 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    521399 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 227673964 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  97586431 total allocation units on disk.
  56918491 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 21 06 00 bc 76 05 00 b7 70 0a 00 00 00 00 00  .!...v...p......
ed 08 00 00 13 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

All is well in Paradise.

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

I found a post on the Net from a guy who explains how he fixed the "locked drive" issue.

He opened a command prompt, probably with administrator's privileges and used three commands which led to fixing the locked drive problem and then he was able to use his recovery features.

Bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

It seems logical to me, to a certain extent, but it's hearsay and I can't vouch for it.

Guess what I just found...

A website that advocates that exact same repair.

Enter these commands at the command prompt:
  - Type:  bootrec /fixmbr  and press the Enter key
  - Type:  bootrec /fixboot  and press the Enter key
  - Type:  bootrec /RebuildBcd  and press the Enter key
  - Then it will ask Yes or No, type: Y

Edited by rockysosua, 26 August 2014 - 06:05 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 riemer46

riemer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for Posting the ChkDsk Log Rocky.

I too found the post with the 3 "bootrec" commands.  However, my CMD tells me that "bootrec is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"...

#14 Andrei_Vas

Andrei_Vas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:25 AM

You might try the following:

- first of all, back-up any important data if you haven't done so.

- on an elevated command prompt (CMD.exe started with right-mouse button => run as administrator) type sfc /scannow  and allow to finish,

then open an elevated command prompt and try each of the following (wait for each of it to finish):

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

#15 riemer46

riemer46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

Thanks Andrei, I'll try those....in the meantime I've ordered Recovery CDs from ASUS....they should get my Laptop back to normal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users