Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help in choosing a laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mondoteq

mondoteq

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Hey all ! I can't choose a laptop from these two :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-dark-gray-blue-gray/6643023.p?id=1219229364828&skuId=6643023&st=pcmcat190000050007_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=9

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-a8-series-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-jet-black/7716338.p?id=1219286766617&skuId=7716338&st=toshiba%20laptop&cp=1&lp=10

I'll use the laptop in general for programming, and development. I'm not advanced, I'll only start the university this year, but I have some experience with C++ , java and android development.
What laptop from these is the best for me, please help.

I really don't know what to choose. Asus has a better CPU, but Toshiba has 6 GB of RAM, more HDD space and touch screen.
I wonder, will the Toshiba laptop run programs like Eclipse, Visual Studio and other IDEs  smooth ?  

P.S sorry for my english if anything, I'm not native :)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 August 2014 - 10:06 AM.
moved from Internal Hardware to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djmiiller

djmiiller

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

I personally would get the Asus. It has the better processor. It may not have as much ram or hard drive space but after a while you could buy more ram for it or buy more hard drive space for it, if you find you need more.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I'm of the same opinion as djmiiller  Get the Asus and upgrade the RAM later.  If the RAM upgrade later isn't an option go with the Toshiba.

#4 Wesker1984

Wesker1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Not really much in it, but if you're definitely getting it from Best Buy I think it's answered for you as the Asus is out of stock. Either should be fine for your needs however as it's not like programming requires any super processor power, unless you're going to be coding a whole Operating System or something...

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

I for many years was an AMD fan, would not touch Intel.  Last five or six years I have been running Intel, one of my toys is a Toshiba/Intel.  Having such great service out of my Toshiba but also liking Asus very much I took the time to compare the two on the net.  If you do like wise the Toshiba does edge out the Asus a bit, they are both good quality reliable units you will be fine either way! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users