Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged partition table

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kayder4

kayder4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hi,

so I recently installed Win 7 OEM from DVD as the only running OS on my notebook after I messed around with shrinking the windows partiton on Win 8.

But when I try to install Linux now as 2nd OS, it shows me, that all of my HDD space is unallocated, although WIn7 is installed. Gparted live says the same, so almost certainly my partition table is damaged. Gparted tells me that the partition table "has GPT signatures but is corrupted" or something like this. If I click on "information" I dont get any warnings/errors like mentioned here: http://gparted.org/h2-fix-msdos-pt.php

So what would be the best way to get that right again? Thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

See this. Run Fixparts. Hopefully it works for you. Remember to backup your partition table. You can use your Linux install disk to do it. I would also back up any important data you have on the Windows partition.

Another option would be to delete all partitions and reinstall Windows 7 letting it partition and format the drive as a MBR disk. Shrink the the partition with Gparted and then install Linux.

Was there any reason you decided to get rid of Win8?

#3 kayder4

kayder4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Okay thanks.

I fear things are worse than expected. I tried to run fixparts, but it comes up with a msvcp100.dll error, which was the reason why I got rid of Win8, I got these registry / system errors. But HOW ... how is it possible that these errors now occur in the freshly installed Win7? Can it be that not everyting of Win8 gets removed when I install Win7 as the only OS or what is the explenation for that?

I think the best option would be to start from scratch, with an absolutely fresh partition table / formated HDD and then try the whole thing again.

Is there any method to get the HDD like it was on day 0 or something like that?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

I think that would be your best option. You can delete all partitions during the WIndows 7 install. Then let Windows 7 automatically create the partitions. One will be the 100MB system reserved partition. The partition will be strictly MBR and not a modification of a GPT table which somehow happened to you.

At step 6 here, delete all partiitions then select next. If somehow you get the same error, which I doubt, I would zero out the drive with the bootable version of Partition Wizard or by using dd in linux. Select quick zero fill.

You can use this bootable disk to resize your windows partition or Gparted if you prefer.

#5 kayder4

kayder4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Okay, so I think I found success in installing Linux first and Win7 afterwards. I've read that by doing it that way, the GRUB loader gets damaged, thats why I currently can access Linux only via a SuperGrub Disk (Windows works fine). Is there any good tutorial out there how to safely set up a working boot manager for this scenario with the 2 OS? Thanks again! :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

I installed Linux after Windows but I have XP as the OS.

Check this guide. Gives a very good rundown on installing Ubuntu after Windows but can be used for other linux distros.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html

If Grub gets damaged you can use Boot-Repair.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

#7 kayder4

kayder4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thanks again. I used boot-repair and am now a verry happy owner of a dual boot win7/debian system on the laptop :) THNANKS!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Your Welcome, Glad you got is all sorted out and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users