Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange beeping from Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 harupopo

harupopo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

While attempting to look for problems with my hard drive, I used Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and during the process around 2 of 2 80%. I heard beeping from my computer, which I suspect is from my hard drive. It beeped around once approximately every 4 seconds , even after the Windows Memory Diagnostics was done it still beeped for a while. From the description of the Windows Memory Diagonostics, I should of gotten the results telling me if my computer had memory problems or not. These results should of been shown after I got on. But when I tried to restart, it gives me the options to run normally or safe mode(s). When I attempt to run normally or in any kind of safe mode, my screen turns blank and only lets me move my cursor. I'm not sure if this matters, but I'm using an laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

Hi,

How old is this system? It does sound like your HDD may have given up the ghost. If you have the installation disk you can try to boot from that and see if you can access the installed drive. If you can't a new drive would be the order of the day

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :lmao:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

That beeping could have been an overheating warning...you can check the BIOS and see if such is enabled.

Hard drives don't result in beeping, AFAIK.

Louis

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

What were the problems you originally were looking for?

#5 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

hamluis, on 26 Aug 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

That beeping could have been an overheating warning...you can check the BIOS and see if such is enabled.

Hard drives don't result in beeping, AFAIK.

Louis

I don't think it could be an overheating warning. I opened that laptop for less then 10 minutes.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Have you checked to make sure the fan is running and the vents are clear. High speed processors can get hot quickly without lots of cooling.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

dicke, on 26 Aug 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

Hi,

How old is this system? It does sound like your HDD may have given up the ghost. If you have the installation disk you can try to boot from that and see if you can access the installed drive. If you can't a new drive would be the order of the day

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :lmao:

I think this laptop is about 3-6 years old. And what is this "installation disk" you are talking about? Is it shaped like a CD? Does it come with the computer?  What problems will this installation disk solve? I seem to have some parts that fail to work on my HDD. Will I be able to install it again with the installation disk?

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

The installation disk is a CD and it should have come with the computer. if the HDD is still operating you may be able to get the system to boot long enough to transfer data before having the hard drive replaced.

Before you spend too much on repairing this laptop take a good look and a new one. The technology has changed a lot since your system was built and if you can take advantage of the improvements I think you will be pleased. It won't take much in the way of a repair bill to exceed the cost of a new laptop.

Keep us posted

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users