Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 harupopo

harupopo

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

When I was browsing a website, ,my computer suddenly stopped responding and everything was stuck I couldn't even open task manager. So I force shutdown the computer, and when I opened it, it seemed to have some problems. So I went with the "Recommended" and started the repair. It seemed to solved some problem, but when it restarted my computer the was the black screen and I could move the cursor. I already let it load for about 8 hours and nothing changes. I already tried going in Safe Mode, and many of the options when pressing F8 when my computer is starting. Now when I try to repair the laptop, it tells me there are no problems. I brought this laptop to a repair shop and he connected the hard drive to his computer and showed me some of the problems on the drive. I think it is physically damaged due to overheating, is it possible for me to retrieve all my data and repair the hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Hi,

Data recovery will be dependent on the amount and type of damage. Get what you MUST have first and then the nice to recover after.

Repair will be much more expensive that replacement if you're talking opening the case to repair/replace any component(s).

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

dicke, on 26 Aug 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

Hi,

Data recovery will be dependent on the amount and type of damage. Get what you MUST have first and then the nice to recover after.

Repair will be much more expensive that replacement if you're talking opening the case to repair/replace any component(s).

Keep us posted

I think its capacity is 320 GB, I went to an repair shop and been shown that my internal hard drive has about 4 parts not working. The repair shop told me that it may be from overheating. Is there anyway I can at least bring back my internal hard drive data to my external hard drive?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hi,

If you have a new drive as the main drive and connect the existing drive it may be possible to copy date from the old drive to the new drive. Along with the new drive I'd be looking at ways to improve the cooling. Open space around the case and more/bigger fans in the case to force more air flow.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

dicke, on 26 Aug 2014 - 9:03 PM, said:

Hi,

If you have a new drive as the main drive and connect the existing drive it may be possible to copy date from the old drive to the new drive. Along with the new drive I'd be looking at ways to improve the cooling. Open space around the case and more/bigger fans in the case to force more air flow.

Keep us posted

So I should replace my drive with a new one and connect my existing drive to the laptop?? But how do I connect an internal hard drive to my laptop? Is there a cable I need to buy?

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

Sorry, didn't know it was a laptop. Desktops usually have a spare HDD connection for this type of situation.

And, yes, you will need to get an adapter box with a USB connection to put the old drive in. After you have the new drive installed and the operating system installed and updated you can then attempt to connect the old drive and copy the data to the new drive. Copy only data, programs will have to be reinstalled to work.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

dicke, on 27 Aug 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Sorry, didn't know it was a laptop. Desktops usually have a spare HDD connection for this type of situation.

And, yes, you will need to get an adapter box with a USB connection to put the old drive in. After you have the new drive installed and the operating system installed and updated you can then attempt to connect the old drive and copy the data to the new drive. Copy only data, programs will have to be reinstalled to work.

Keep us posted

What is the cable called? I can't seem to find it, and just to make sure, data includes my "Favorites" on IE, and the folders in my background?

#8 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

dicke, on 27 Aug 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Keep us posted

Also, is it possible to transfer data with only the damaged existing HDD and an external hard drive alone? I thought it was possible to download something to the external hard drive so the external hard drive can open windows on the laptop and open the damaged existing HDD's Local Disk.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'm not aware of a program that will boot a laptop from an external drive [suspect that there may be something from Linux orUbuto that you setup to boot from a flash drive]

So long as the computer thinks that the internal drive is the primary, and won't boot the operating system, I don't think you will be able to do much of anything.

Sorry

Dick E

#10 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

when I start to startup repair, it tells me that "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" and gives me the options "Send information about this problem (recommended)" and "Don't send" I just sent the infomation and it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Hello, Do you have access to another computer that can download and burn an iso file?

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

when I start to startup repair, it tells me that "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically" and gives me the options "Send information about this problem (recommended)" and "Don't send" I just sent the infomation and it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

Without being connected to the Internet it can't really send it too far

Dick E

#13 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

JohnC_21, on 27 Aug 2014 - 5:29 PM, said:

Hello, Do you have access to another computer that can download and burn an iso file?

I'm not sure what an ISO file is but I have another Window 7 Laptop and an desktop.

#14 harupopo

harupopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

harupopo, on 27 Aug 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

JohnC_21, on 27 Aug 2014 - 5:29 PM, said:JohnC_21, on 27 Aug 2014 - 5:29 PM, said:

I'm not sure what an ISO file is but I have another Window 7 Laptop and an desktop.

From what I searched up, I wouldn't need an ISO file if I already have the Windows Installation CD/DVD right?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

The Install CD/DVD will not allow you to attempt to retrieve the data off the hard drive that is failing or may be failing. The iso file I would download is a standalone linux distro with some programs that may get the data back.

Download PartedMagic. Burn the iso in Windows 7 by double clicking it or Right click > burn image. Make sure your optical drive is the first boot device in BIOS. If the computer is a Dell you can tap F12 and boot and it will allow you to select the boot device. When Parted Magic boots up you will get a desktop with a disk health icon. Double click the icon and do a short test on the disk. Did it pass or fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users