Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puppy Linux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:42 AM

i went to the puppy linux web site and then saved it to a disk. i put the disk in and then the computer says it cannot find the appropriate program to open the file. and last time i did this someone recommended winISO but that did work for me. what am i doing wrong here. im sure im doing wrong but i dont know where. i dont know what it means when the the web site suggestes burning software because when i try do download something it asks me if i want to save it on to computer or on to disk and then i click on disk and then it saves t. so if i were to use the burning software how would i use it. i just need some help here. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

In you CD burning software it will have a tab the allow you to "burn an image". That is the name in Nero, it may have a little different name in other burning programs. In Nero it is in the Backup tab. Once you have an image the CD\DVD will boot. Make sure your computer is setup to boot your CD\DVD first. If not it will detect your hard drive and boot from it instead.
What burning software are you using to make CD\DVDs?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:21 AM

i tried using imgburner and deep burner. how would i set up my comp. to boot from the cd-rom first? because even if i actually order the disk im still gonna need to know how to have the cdrom boot first.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:52 AM

To set you boot order you need to enter the BIOS. To do this you will tab repeatly (F2, F10, F12, Del,...) the key that comes up on the screen when you first turn on your computer. It will say "Press FXX to enter setup...". FXX being what ever key appears on the screen.
Once in the BIOS you will find a screen that refers to the order in which the drives boot. You want "CDrom, Floppy, Hard Drive" as the boot order.
What kind of computer, model, processor, amount of RAM and current operating system do you have?

Edited by acklan, 05 June 2006 - 04:53 AM.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:01 AM

thanks i got it

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:02 AM

Cool. I expect an evaluation. :thumbsup:

#7 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

glad you got it going sharpie
here's my 2 cents; loooooooooooking goooooooood :thumbsup: any kangaroos out there need some linux explaining? :flowers:
Posted Image
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Love the puppy so cute

#9 buck65

buck65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:21 PM

I'm in real need of explaining. I get the program to start fine but I have no idea how to get it to connect to the internet. I really ,REALLY, hope someone can explain in the simplest of terms how I can do that. I have a broadband connection and connect through ethernet cable to modem. Thanx for any advice.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

Are you using DHCP? Are you running from the disk or is it installed on the hard drive?

#11 buck65

buck65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Hello Acklan, how are things? I believe it was you that sent me the disk, thank you very much by the way. I just can't figure out how to connect to the internet. I'm not sure what DHCP is so I 'm not sure if I'm using it or not. The disk works fine and I really can't wait to try it online hopefully you can help me a little bit more. Thanx again Acklan you really are the bleepin cats meow. By for now.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:51 PM

DCHP is the way your OS connects to your modem or router. When you setup your ethernet card it will ask if you want to use DHCP or statric. Select DHCP or autmaticily obtain IP address.

In Puppy go to Start> Setup> Ethernet/network Wizard

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users