Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing bootmgr message

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hello all - first, I'm going to be very honest and admit that I screwed up... I went messing around in places where only the big girls should be playing. My HDDs, USB drives, DVD drives, external HDD, all had "out of sequence" drive letters assigned to them. I went into disk management and tried reassigning the drive letters. This was fine, except that the letter "H" was not assigned to a device, nor was it shown in the list of available drive letters. I did some poking around on the web, and discovered that this can be rectified by editing the registry keys.

Oh, my... That is a place I should NOT have gone...

Everything seemed to fine - the drive letters were still all mixed up, but the machine functioned fine - until I did a reboot, thinking that this is what was needed to reflect the changes I had made in the registry.

Instead, after the BIOS loaded, I was greeted with this:

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot...

Windows Startup Repair informs me that there is no operating system; however, when examining the drives with an Ubuntu disk, there it is, along with the bootmgr file, boot folder, and BCD file. Here is where it gets interesting, though.

I do a weekly backup with Macrium Reflect. It is configured - unfortunately, I think - to do incremental backups. Only the first backup was a full disk image. When I tried to do a restore with Macrium today, I tried using the most recent incremental backup. This did not rectify the problem, so I tried to reboot with the Macrium boot disk again, so that I could restore the original, full system image. Now, the program refuses to initialize. It just hangs at the "Initializing Windows PE environment (Press Esc to abort)" screen. After a while, I pressed Esc, and nothing - the program still hangs there.

Any Ideas?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 24 August 2014 - 08:39 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

If you have another Win7 computer you can create a System Rescue Disk or you can use a Win7 install disk. Boot that and do a System Restore. If you have a restore point, it will take the registry back to what it was before you changed it. If that does not work, you can do Startup Repair. It may take up to three times before Windows fully repairs itself.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02058933&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Edit: Here is a better link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

I missed the part of your post where no operating system was listed.

At a command prompt type:

Diskpart

At the Diskpart command prompt type

list disk

Your hard drive with the Windows OS should be disk 0. It may be different but you should be able to tell from the size.

Type:  

Select Disk n    where n would be the number of the Windows disk

Type

List Volume

Make a note of the partition letters and their sizes. Please put that in your next post.   I will be going off until tomorrow.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Okay - this is what I've done, JohnC:

First, I decided to attempt a reload of the Macrium Reflect boot disk. Since it was taking so long, I just put it in the drive, rebooted, and went to bed. When I went in this morning, it had actually initialized and loaded, so I attempted a restore using the full system image from earlier this month. Macrium reported that the restore had been successful, so I did a reboot. I still get the "BOOTMGR is missing" message.

==============

Next, I saw some info at the Microsoft support site about this, and tried their suggestions. Bolded items are my input commands, non-bold are the messages returned:

bootrec c:\windows
    The operation completed successfully.

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot
    Element not found.

bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Total identified Windows installations: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to bootlist? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:
y

Element not found.

So, that was a bust.

==============

Next, I went on to your instructions from last night. This is the result:

diskpart
    Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1/7600
    Copyright <C> 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: MININT-M7GUV4G

list disk
    Disk ###    Status        Size               Free            Dyn    Gpt

Disk 0        Online         931 GB        1024 KB
    Disk 1        Online         186 GB              0   B
    Disk 2        Online           31 GB              0   B
    Disk 3        Online       1863 GB        3072 KB
    Disk 4        Online       7633 MB              0   B
    Disk 5        Online       2020 MB              0   B
    Disk 6        Online         956 MB              0   B
    Disk 7        Online       1863 GB        7168 KB
    Disk 8        Online       1938 MB              0   B

select disk 0
    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

list volume
    Volume ###    Ltr    Label                   Fs         Type                  Size          Status        Info

Volume 0        H      Repair disc          UDF      DVD-ROM         165 MB      Healthy
    Volume 1         I                                               DVD-ROM              0           No Media
    Volume 2        C     SystemDrive        NTFS    Partition             931 GB      Healthy
    Volume 3        D     Storage 03          NTFS    Partition             186 GB      Healthy
    Volume 4        E     Storage 01          NTFS    Partition               31 GB      Healthy
    Volume 5        F     Storage 02          NTFS    Partition           1863 GB      Healthy
    Volume 6        G    8 GB USB            FAT 32  Removable       7633 MB     Healthy
    Volume 7        J     2 GB USB            FAT       Removable       2023 MB     Healthy
    Volume 8        K    1 GB USB            FAT       Removable         955 MB     Healthy
    Volume 9        L     External              NTFS     Partition           1863 GB     Healthy
    Volume 10      M                               FAT       Removable       1937 MB     Healthy

==============

As a small aside, the volume listed above Volume 4, "E," reports that it is a 31 GB drive. This has been bothering me for a while, though I don't need the drive that badly, so it wasn't a priority. This is, according to the label on the drive, a 180 GB drive. I've looked at it, and there is only one partition. Partition Magic reports that the partition cannot be expanded any further. Any ideas about that?

==============

Thanks for your help with this, JohnC. While it's not a disaster if I have to rebuild my system drive (all of my data files are stored on the external drive), I'd really like to avoid that if I can. It would be rather time consuming...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 August 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

There is another option you can try.  Use the instructions below to create a Windows 7 installation disk and follow the instructions to step 7b.  In 7b click on System Restore in the System Recovery Option list and use a restore point prior to the changes you made.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Just curious. You don't show a System Reserved Partition.

In Diskpart after your last command of list volume type

Select Volume 2

Then type:

Detail Partition

Does the Partition show as Active?

If it does exit out of Diskpart by typing Exit at the Diskpart command prompt

Then type:

bcdboot C:\Windows

Then the following commands again. These may not be necessary but it wont hurt to do them again

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

Reboot

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

I've seen computer where the System Reserve Partition isn't listed.  It is alway 100MB in size, look for that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

dc3, thanks for your input. I do have both the original installation disk, as well as a System Repair disk. Both of these cannot detect the Windows Installation, so when I try to do a System Restore, I'm told I must select an OS. Startup Repair informs me that it cannot repair the problem automatically.

JohnC, this is the result of your last post suggestion:

> detail partition

Partition 1

Type: 07

Hidden: No

Active: Yes

Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ###          Ltr     Label                 Fs        Type               Size            Status          Info

*    Volume 2               C      SystemDrive     NTFS    Partition          931 GB      Healthy

> bcdboot C:\Windows

Failure when attempting to copy boot files.

Edit to Add: dc3, I'm going to go ahead and attempt your suggestion with a new installation disk. I'll post back with my results.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 August 2014 - 12:12 PM.

Snowden03.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Windows being the active partition means Windows was installed to an existing partition. I did this on a laptop. Boot files are on the same partition as Windows.

I am not sure what the problem is now. At the command prompt. Type CD C:\  if you are not already at C:

Then dir /p

Do you see the Windows directory.

You can also do a

bootrec /scanos  

to see if it can detect the OS but I doubt it.

You can try this command

bcdboot C:windows /s C:

If that does not work, then I would try doing the Macrium image with the linux boot iso that is included in the Macrium Program directory. That may have a better chance of working. Or dc3 may have some more good ideas on this.

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

dc3, Startup Repair has had me reboot 3 times, each time with no success.

===============================================================

x:\windows\system32> cd c:\

c:\> dir/p

Volume in drive C is SystemDrive
Volume Serial Number is 3CF1-2E0B

Directory of c:\

06/28/2014  07:07 AM     <DIR>          AdwCleaner
06/28/2014  06:07 AM     <DIR>          AMD
06/28/2014  06:43 AM                   30 AVScanner.ini
06/28/2014  09:30 AM                   40 EB88527F9582
07/12/2014  07:59 AM     <DIR>          Free 3GP Video Converter
07/13/2014  07:20 PM     <DIR>          PerfLogs
07/25/2014  03:50 AM     <DIR>          Program Files
07/23/2014  04:54 PM     <DIR>          Program Files <x86>
06/28/2014  07:19 AM     <DIR>          Qoobox
06/27/2014  06:59 PM     <DIR>          RaidTool
07/26/2014  08:24 AM     <DIR>          Users
07/26/2014  07:14 PM     <DIR>          Windows
               2 File<s>             70 bytes
              10 Dir<s>   873,708,367,872 bytes free

================================================================

c:\> bootrec /scanos

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1] C:\Windows

c:\> bcdboot C:Windows /s C:
BFSVC: Could not open the BCD template store. Status = [c000000f ]

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 August 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Snowden03.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

At the command prompt type the following commands

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
del c:\boot\bcd

Then

bcdboot C:windows /s C:

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

C:\> attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

C:\> del c:\boot\bcd

C:\> bcdboot C:windows /s C:

BFSVC: Could not open the BCD template store. Status = [c000000f ]

A side note - as I type this, I'm rebooting with the system repair disk. After the last reboot, it recognized the OS, so I'll attempt repairs that way - but I'm not hopeful...

Edit to Add: As I thought, Windows again cannot detect the OS. I'll give Macrium Reflect another try and report back.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 August 2014 - 03:35 PM.

Snowden03.png

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Something just occurred to me regarding Macrium Reflect. I have it configured to do system images, not disk images. I wonder (though I doubt it), if this might be why Macrium cannot restore the drive?

I'm attempting that restore again now. I'll post the outcome, but if it fails again, barring any further suggestions from folks here, I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet, format the drive, and start over.

One question: Will it be possible, do you think, to reinstall Win 7, and then restore the system from the Macrium image that I have?

Snowden03.png

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

"One question: Will it be possible, do you think, to reinstall Win 7, and then restore the system from the Macrium image that I have?"

That to me would be possible. You are restoring the system partition and not any of the other partitions. Macrium is supposed to be able to do this. If you are doing a restore of the system partition, then it should boot fine. I am just suprised at the number of partitions on the disk.

I am not sure what you meant when you said it recognized the OS and then in the next boot it did not. Not sure why that would happen.

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

I'm not sure what happened. System repair saw the OS, attempted repairs, and on the next reboot did not see it.

And those are not all partitions on the same drive - the system drive only has one partition. All of those other entries you saw are for other drives on the computer. I have four internal HDDs, four USBs, and the external HDD.

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users