Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ironjack

ironjack

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

I am still using 2 old computers running XP.I am going to purchase new computers soon.My question is,"If my old machines have been compromised and a hacker has access to them,will purchasing new do any good?" I am concerned about my IP address's.Are they the same if I remove the old and hook up the new at the same physical location?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

There is a bit to understand here.  First, you most likely have a router since you are using two machines.  If your router has been compromised your issues may continue.  Your router is more likely to be compromised if you have left the default administrative passwords in place.

There are two IP addresses, your Public IP address (this can be found by going to What Is My IP.com) and your local area network address (LAN)(most likely 192.168.x.x).  The LAN address will most likely change, but since the 192.168.x.x IP addresses cannot be routed on the internet it doesn't matter if someone knows your LAN IP address.  The Public IP address is the address that you get from your ISP and it will most likely remain the same.  If you are using a router that has not been compromised this shouldn't be an issue since all non-requested information will be dropped by the router since it does not know where to send the information.  If you suspect your router has been compromised you should probably look to updating the firmware, reconfiguring, and changing the default administrative password.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

The Public IP address is the address that you get from your ISP and it will most likely remain the same.

"The Public IP address is the address that you get from your ISP and it will most likely remain the same" is misleading, AT LEAST IN PART.  Specifically, if a hard reset of the modem is done, the public IP address will change.  Also, if the modem has a "reboot" button as show below will also change the public IP address, after the reboot (of the modem) occurs.  The "reboot" button is the same has a hard reset.

START:
34gsnlg.jpg

AFTER HARD RESET (RECESSED RED BUTTON):
a5cbqh.jpg

AFTER SOFT RESET ("REBOOT" BUTTON)
n569l3.jpg

On renewal of the IP address, it may not change, thus my comment of "You are mistaken on your comment of "The Public IP address is the address that you get from your ISP and it will most likely remain the same", AT LEAST IN PART".  However, in all cases, when I paid attention, mine did change.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

If you want an ip address that does not change, you have to pay your isp extra for a static ip address, otherwise like Scotty stated, it can change anytime you reboot your modem or disconnect from your isp for a lenth of time

#5 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thanks to Kilroy,Scotty_Ncc1701,and JoeC.

I 'preciate ya' fellas!  :smash:

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

There are many possibilities.

A fixed IP address is when you configure your device with an explicit IP address (e.g. you type the IP address in the configuration), a dynamic IP address is when your device uses DHCP to obtain an IP address.

With DHCP, your IP address might change when you get a new lease. But this depends on several factors.

For example, it's possible to always get the same IP address even with DHCP: that is done with a reservation on the DHCP server. The MAC address of your device is entered into the DHCP server configuration, together with an IP address.

When your device requests an IP address via DHCP, the DHCP server will always give you the same IP address (the one that is reserved for your device).

If there is no reservation, the DHCP server will assign you a free IP address from its pool.

Why do you sometimes get the same IP address and sometimes not? This depends on different factors.

If your former IP address is in use by another device, you can not lease it.

A full DHCP communication is: Discovery, Offer, Request, Acknowledge.

But there is also a shorter one: Request, Acknowledge.

With a request, the device can request the same IP address.

When a device is booted, it always does the full DHCP communication. That's why it's more likely to get a different IP address.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users