Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer running slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spiritdeer56

spiritdeer56

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

My computer is running very slow and not responding pops up all the time,  Even word documents take a while to open.  I noticed McAfee scanning tool that I have through my internet provider is using a lot of RAM when running.  Not sure if this is part of the problem or not.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JRHB14

JRHB14

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Any programs can slow down your computer somewhat, but I would say it is unlikely any one program is slowing down your computer significantly. 

Are you running Windows? Which version?

#3 spiritdeer56

spiritdeer56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Windows 8.   

#4 JRHB14

JRHB14

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

First thing to do is to remove any programs you aren't using. Go to the start menu to access the control panel. Then you can click "uninstall a program". Go through and anything that you no longer use, get rid of. (However, don't remove any programs that came with your device unless you understand what they are and are sure you do not need them.)

Next thing I would recommend is disk cleanup (control panel, administrative tools, free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files). That usually makes a big difference for me when I've used it.

The last trick I know is disk defragmentor. If you already have it set to run automatically (once a week usually) than this probably won't do much. If you don't have it set to run automatically, then I recommend changing that. 

The other thing it could be is malware/viruses on your computer, but try the above first. There are free virus protection programs that you can get which can clear things up if you think viruses might be the culprit. 

EDIT: Let me know how it goes.

Edited by JRHB14, 24 August 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#5 spiritdeer56

spiritdeer56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

OK, I did everything (by the way, thank you) however, I think it may be a virus or malware because things keep popping up as I tried to delete stuff.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

OK, I did everything (by the way, thank you) however, I think it may be a virus or malware because things keep popping up as I tried to delete stuff.

It's time to get Free Malwarebytes and free superantispyware, then scan.

When installing MB & SAS, be careful to not accidentally agree to the trial version.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users