Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i don't think i'm infected with anything but i need some advice

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

I don't think i've been infected with anything but in the last week or so my computer has slowed somewhat and i've been getting constant " run automatic maintenance to optimize your pc" prompts in my system tray. I've also noticed, or thought i noticed some other weird things, nothing major, just a couple of small freezes and once or twice a web page (such as a google results page) seeming to scroll in a funny way(maybe it was just me but on some occasions it has seemed to jump down) I want to make sure i haven't got an infection and also hopefully test that nothing else is wrong with my machine (toshiba laptop, windows 8, avg antivirus, regular scans performed with MBAM). is there a list of good reliable methods/tools i can use to go through all the possible problems and

make sure:

a   ) i'm not infected with anything

b   )i haven't got severe soft or hard ware problems

c   ) that my system is in a generally good state, all vulnerabilities patched, everything running that should be running, no unnecessary crap slowing it down,everything that should not be running not running, no future problems waiting to happen.

thank you

Edited by rp88, 24 August 2014 - 06:12 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

can anyone give me some advice on this, on ways of testing whether my computer is in good condition on all fronts (security,performance,hardware status,anything else in a "not so good" state). i've run every scanner i could (avg,mbam,kaspersky virus removal tool, rkill,malwarebytes anti-rootkit,eset online scanner) which found it clean but i want to know if there is a fully certain way of making sure no virus is hiding, i've not been sure how to check my hardware status (as in if there is damage or wear and tear building up) and i couldn't tell how to test whether there are any security holes n my system, i'm not sure how to tell if my performance is as good as it should be for the hardware i have and don't know what to do to identify whether any of the programs on my machine (i still have several that were pre-installed when i bought it) are bloatware(or if they are performing an important unseen function) and if any of my settings for anything are wrong

thank you

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,511 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

As to your first post I would suggest start by taking a look at the suggestions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

I'll let more knowledgeable people regarding hardware respond to your second post.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

i have no add-ons/toolbars in  my browser, and i clear the history(including cache) daily.

i have never been inside this computer, it's a laptop so it's tricky to even try opening. i do have it on a little stand above the desk i work at so that should help with cooling a little. I have no knowledge of how dusty, or clean, the internals might be.

As connectivity issues go i haven't had much but once or twice per week the internet freezes and i have to reconnect, i also get full freeze ups for a few seconds every few days which occur when opening web pages (they have happened for "how to geek" and "bbc iplayer", it might have something to do with both sites trying to load a lot of content on their homepage)

. i use chrome, NEVER ie.

i do weekly (ish) disk cleanups with CCleaner, it removes 20 to 100 megabytes usually.

I have never run chkdsk and haven't looked around in device manager, i'll have to read up on them.

i haven't checked for damaged system files but i don't have an installation cd (for windows 8) anywhere.

i haven't defragged the system or defragged the pagefile, automatic maintenance might be trying to defrag when it (constantly) runs. i did find something on my system saying my fragmentation was 0%.

I'm not sure how to recognise if any of the services running on my machine are unnecessary, i disabled a few many months ago that i knew were unneeded but there are still loads left.

I don't know whether windows indexing service is running.

i've seen ctfmon.exe in task manager(in normal and safe modes), i'll double check what it does before disabling it.

i haven't seen mdm.exe running.

i'm not sure how to recognise what applications which load at boot are junk and which have an important function.

i have never knowingly installed a third party "optimizer" or any such scam along those lines seen in so many online ads, but i'm not sure how to know if one came pre-installed and how i could recognise whether pre-installed stuff is total cr*p or something important.

i have already disabled some visual effects, not those that make using the machine feel weird, i'll take look and see if any more can go.

i'm not sure what the HOSTS file is.

i'm not desperate to the point of needing to add RAM, i just want to make sure my system is not badly set up so the hardware i have is not being used to it's potential.

i have only AVG running as a live antivirus but i have mbam, and a few other on demand scanners which i use. I don't usually switch avg off when i run one of the other scanners.

do those pieces of information suggest anything? i'm not fully sure how to tell which of those steps recommended on the page you linked to might damage something.

thanks

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

Please take this as a constructive way to rephrase several of your postings, not meant to be critical in any way.

I would just make a few basic changes so it will read as below, rather than say you are 100% sure on these issues -

i have no add-ons/toolbars in  my browser

I have no extras that I think can be seen, although many can live as "hidden" items..

i have never been inside this computer, it's a laptop so it's tricky to even try opening.

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

As connectivity issues go i haven't had much but once or twice per week the internet freezes and i have to reconnect, i also get full freeze ups for a few seconds every few days which occur when opening web pages

I have *semi - regular* unknown internet freezes every week

i use chrome, NEVER ie.

This is nothing to brag about, as I find more Google Chrome users wanting help than Internet Explorer users (like me)

I have never run chkdsk i haven't checked for damaged system files but i don't have an installation cd

I did not know a CD/DVD was not required so I have never run sfc /scannow Use Option 2, or diskcheck Use option 1 scans for ease

i've seen ctfmon.exe in task manager(in normal and safe modes) Ctfmon is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar. It’s how you can control the computer via speech or a pen tablet, or using the onscreen keyboard inputs for asian languages.
If you are using any of the above, you should leave it enabled. For everybody else, we’ll get to the job of disabling this annoying service. - i haven't seen mdm.exe running.

I have seen ctfmon.exe but not mdm.exe but I am still trying to disable them

i have never knowingly installed a third party "optimizer" or any such scam along those lines seen in so many online ads

I have never used MiniToolBox to find installed programs (or errors)

i'm not sure what the HOSTS file is.

There is no automated M/soft Fix it to reset Windows 8 Hosts file, as with windows 7, but it can be done manually (need a page or link I know you will understand)

i'm not desperate to the point of needing to add RAM

No details yet in this post (that I saw) of RAM - See Speccy above..

#6 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

i have used minitoolbox (from this site) sometimes.  my reference to not having the installation cd was in reference to the "check for damaged system files" thing, on the link animal provided it said that the software advised for doing this often asked for a windows installation disc. chkdsk was a separate matter, sorry i put it in the same line of my post, i'm still not sure how to use it though, whether it can give info on the state of one's harddrive and whether it can cause damage of some kind.

as for extensions/addons/toolbars i have looked under chrome://plugins and the only things there are "widevine content decryption module" "adobe flash player" "chrome pdf viewer" "native client" "google update" "intel identity protection technology" "silverlight and "vlc web plugin", these are all set as "click to play" not automatic, there are a few other plugins but they are all fully disabled "canon image gateway" "chrome remote desktop viewer" "microsoft office". chrome://extensions contains two extensions, both of them disabled "dragon naturally speaking" and "google docs".

do those small corrections to my notes above allow you to give suggestions on how to check the status of my system, in all respects.
before i run speccy, i want to ask
a   ) is it trustworthy software, i guess it is but want to make sure
b   )can i just copy out text of my specs or will it only allow for what looks from that tutorial to be automatic creation of a webpage on their site containg my specs which i can then supply a url for.

also does it give info that can be useful for seeing of my hard drive is dying?

i have run minitoolbox again, just now, and attached it's log:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 23-01-2014
Ran by personal info removed (administrator) on 27-08-2014 at 14:22:03
Running from "D:\Users\personal info removed\Downloads\scanners"
Microsoft Windows 8  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ============================== 

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.

========================= FF Proxy Settings: ============================== 

"Reset FF Proxy Settings": Firefox Proxy settings were reset.

========================= Hosts content: =================================

========================= IP Configuration: ================================

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller = Ethernet (Connected)
Qualcomm Atheros AR946x Wireless Network Adapter = WiFi 2 (Media disconnected)

# ----------------------------------
# IPv4 Configuration
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ipv4

reset
set global icmpredirects=enabled
set interface interface="Local Area Connection* 9" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="Ethernet" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="Bluetooth Network Connection" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="WiFi" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="Local Area Connection* 12" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="other_1" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="WiFi 2" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled
set interface interface="Local Area Connection* 14" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled nud=enabled ignoredefaultroutes=disabled

popd
# End of IPv4 configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : personal info removed
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : customer.(replaced as these words give my home address).lan

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 12-D9-62-1D-2F-C0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR946x Wireless Network Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-D9-62-1D-2F-C0

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : customer.(replaced because the two wrods here give me home address).lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-54-D2-8D-E8-F3
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6100:20ae:3a26:8d49%12(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.235.198.96(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 August 2014 12:07:52
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 August 2014 14:30:19
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.235.192.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.235.192.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 259785991
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-BB-3B-E3-70-54-D2-8D-E8-F3
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.235.192.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:38a9:2ddd:f514:399f(Preferred) 
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38a9:2ddd:f514:399f%16(Preferred) 
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.customer.(replaced again).lan:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : customer.(home address again, as in hpysical street address).lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Server:  gw.customer.(again, my address).lan
Address:  10.235.192.1

Name:    google.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:800::1003

Pinging google.com [74.125.230.64] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.125.230.64: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=55
Reply from 74.125.230.64: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 74.125.230.64:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 3ms
Server:  gw.customer.(address replaced by me, once again).lan
Address:  10.235.192.1

Name:    yahoo.com
Addresses:  98.138.253.109

Pinging yahoo.com [206.190.36.45] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 206.190.36.45: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=40
Reply from 206.190.36.45: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=40

Ping statistics for 206.190.36.45:
    Minimum = 167ms, Maximum = 171ms, Average = 169ms

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
===========================================================================
Interface List
 21...12 d9 62 1d 2f c0 ......Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
 20...c0 d9 62 1d 2f c0 ......Qualcomm Atheros AR946x Wireless Network Adapter #2
 12...70 54 d2 8d e8 f3 ......Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1
 16...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
 28...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0     10.235.192.1    10.235.198.96     20
     10.235.192.0    255.255.240.0         On-link     10.235.198.96    276
    10.235.198.96  255.255.255.255         On-link     10.235.198.96    276
   10.235.207.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     10.235.198.96    276
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     10.235.198.96    276
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     10.235.198.96    276
Persistent Routes:
  None

IPv6 Route Table
Active Routes:
 If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
 16    306 ::/0                     On-link
  1    306 ::1/128                  On-link
 16    306 2001::/32                On-link
 16    306 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:38a9:2ddd:f514:399f/128
                                    On-link
 12    276 fe80::/64                On-link
 16    306 fe80::/64                On-link
 16    306 fe80::38a9:2ddd:f514:399f/128
                                    On-link
 12    276 fe80::6100:20ae:3a26:8d49/128
                                    On-link
  1    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
 16    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
 12    276 ff00::/8                 On-link
Persistent Routes:
  None
========================= Winsock entries =====================================

Catalog5 01 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\napinsp.dll [52224] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 02 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\pnrpnsp.dll [67584] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 03 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\pnrpnsp.dll [67584] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 04 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\NLAapi.dll [55296] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 05 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 06 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winrnr.dll [21504] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 07 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wshbth.dll [50688] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 01 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 02 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 03 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 04 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 05 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 06 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 07 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 08 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 09 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 10 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 11 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll [289280] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 01 C:\Windows\System32\napinsp.dll [66560] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 02 C:\Windows\System32\pnrpnsp.dll [85504] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 03 C:\Windows\System32\pnrpnsp.dll [85504] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 04 C:\Windows\System32\NLAapi.dll [72192] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 05 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 06 C:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dll [53760] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog5 07 C:\Windows\System32\wshbth.dll [64000] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 01 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 02 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 03 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 04 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 05 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 06 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 07 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 08 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 09 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 10 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)
x64-Catalog9 11 C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll [355328] (Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (08/26/2014 10:51:34 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest1".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest2" on line C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest3.
A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active.
Conflicting components are:.
Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest.
Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_8937eec6860750f5.manifest.

Error: (08/26/2014 10:50:39 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest1".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest2" on line C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest3.
A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active.
Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_418ab7ef718b27ef.manifest.
Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9200.16579_none_8937eec6860750f5.manifest.

Error: (08/26/2014 08:03:46 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/26/2014 08:03:36 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/26/2014 07:05:56 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/24/2014 11:04:31 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/24/2014 09:32:40 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/24/2014 08:24:23 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/24/2014 08:24:15 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

Error: (08/24/2014 08:09:11 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )

System errors:
=============
Error: (08/24/2014 11:12:29 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Intel® ME Service service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%1053

Error: (08/24/2014 11:12:29 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Intel® ME Service service to connect.

Error: (08/24/2014 11:11:59 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Google Update Service (gupdate) service failed to start due to the following error: 
%%1053

Error: (08/24/2014 11:11:59 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Google Update Service (gupdate) service to connect.

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

7-Zip 9.20
Atheros Bluetooth Filter Driver Package (Version: 2.0.0.3)
Atheros Driver Installation Program (Version: 10.0)
AVG 2014 (Version: 14.0.4007)
AVG 2014 (Version: 14.0.4745)
AVG 2014 (Version: 2014.0.4745)
Blender (Version: 2.65a-release)
Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba (Version: v8.00.12(T))
Canon IJ Scan Utility
Canon MG5400 series MP Drivers (Version: 1.00)
Canon MG5400 series On-screen Manual (Version: 7.5.0)
Canon MG5400 series User Registration
Canon My Image Garden (Version: 1.0.0)
Canon My Image Garden Design Files (Version: 1.0.0)
Canon My Printer (Version: 3.0.0)
Canon Quick Menu (Version: 2.0.0)
CCleaner (Version: 4.13)
Claro ScreenMarker (Version: 1.1.0)
ClaroCapture (Version: 3.0.19)
ClaroIdeas (Version: 2.1.0)
ClaroRead Plus (Version: 6.2.7)
ClaroView (Version: 1.0.12)
Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 64-Bit Edition
Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 (Version: 12.50.000)
eLearning Module Content version 2.0 (Version: 2.0)
eLearning version 2.0 (Version: 2.0)
ESET Online Scanner v3
GIMP 2.8.6 (Version: 2.8.6)
Google Chrome (Version: 37.0.2062.94)
Google SketchUp 8 (Version: 3.0.11752)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.24.15)
Intel® Management Engine Components (Version: 8.1.0.1252)
Intel® Processor Graphics (Version: 9.17.10.3040)
Intel® Trusted Connect Service Client (Version: 1.24.388.1)
KAZ (Keyboard A-Z) Version 20.5
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.2.1012 (Version: 2.0.2.1012)
Microsoft App Update for microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.0.1119.516_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe (x64) (Version: 1.0.0.0)
Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Access Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Office 32-bit Components 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Shared 32-bit MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.30514.0)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (Version: 10.0.40219)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (Version: 10.0.40219)
Mobile Broadband HL Service (Version: 22.001.14.01.105)
Mozilla Firefox 31.0 (x86 en-US) (Version: 31.0)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (Version: 29.0.1)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK (Version: 4.20.9818.0)
Olympus Sonority (Version: 1.4.3)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Version: 6.0.1.6794)
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader (Version: 6.1.8400.30136)
ScreenRuler (Version: 3.0.5)
Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 64-Bit Edition
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (Version: 17.0.8.21)
TOSHIBA Function Key (Version: 1.00.6626.6410)
Update for Microsoft Access 2010 (KB2553446) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB2837600) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0 (KB2878281) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft InfoPath 2010 (KB2817369) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589298) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589352) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589375) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2597087) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687502) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2760598) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2794737) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2825635) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2837581) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2837606) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2878252) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2881028) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2837595) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB2687567) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB2837579) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 (KB2760601) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Visio 2010 (KB2880526) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Visio Viewer 2010 (KB2837587) 64-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB2880529) 64-Bit Edition
Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
VLC media player (Version: 2.1.5)
Vocalizer Daniel from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Fiona from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Karen from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Lee from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Moira from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Sangeeta from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Serena from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)
Vocalizer Tom from Claro Software (Version: 1.2.1.0)

========================= Devices: ================================

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 28%
Total physical RAM: 3979.3 MB
Available physical RAM: 2836.21 MB
Total Pagefile: 4683.3 MB
Available Pagefile: 3308.09 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3969.54 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:197.9 GB) (Free:147.13 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: () (Fixed) (Total:218.69 GB) (Free:161.03 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\personal info removed

Administrator            Guest                    personal info removed              

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

No minidump file found

========================= Restore Points ==================================

12-08-2014 18:57:25 Windows Update
21-08-2014 15:43:24 Scheduled Checkpoint

**** End of log ****

there is some pre-installed junk there i can see but i'm not sure what of it i might be performing important background processes.

Edited by quietman7, 08 November 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

i have also attached some other logs:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.87  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10 Out of date!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014   
Windows Defender                  
 Antivirus up to date!   
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Mozilla Firefox (31.0) 
 Google Chrome 36.0.1985.143  
 Google Chrome 37.0.2062.94  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
 AVG avgwdsvc.exe 
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  % 
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 14-05-2014
Ran by personal info removed (administrator) on 27-08-2014 at 14:51:13
Running from "D:\Users\personal info removed\Downloads\scanners"
Microsoft Windows 8  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy: 
========================

Action Center:
============

Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of wuauserv service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wuauserv service is OK.

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend: ""%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe"".

Windows Defender Disabled Policy: 
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys
[2014-07-10 14:25] - [2014-05-29 23:24] - 0576512 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) FE7FB9612D354EB41DF4F0FF5D6FB259

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys
[2014-06-11 15:37] - [2014-04-03 12:22] - 2233176 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 0E0C16EE82E2F4EBC2FBCA24C8F00D9E

C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll
[2014-01-15 12:46] - [2013-10-31 06:56] - 0915968 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 9DE3341BD4E14BC5FADFCAD3019F2D0D

C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll
[2013-11-13 15:42] - [2013-10-10 10:20] - 0723968 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 53AA55632B94622F2DC3695E86EF9363

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys
[2014-01-15 12:46] - [2013-10-31 04:42] - 0074752 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 4CCBBD4944777CA100B9A6C2F149A46F

C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll
[2014-08-05 14:02] - [2014-08-12 20:15] - 3286528 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) F2463B2E9818D242B4F72B237E9BD545

C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll
[2014-05-14 15:09] - [2014-03-23 23:11] - 1640896 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) 522FBA7CCAAC50E43E41C3B6269FD381

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
[2014-05-14 15:09] - [2014-03-29 09:05] - 0016056 ____A (Microsoft Corporation) C482599717E3BD0EA778EB2B12E24DE5

C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

!!!!!!!

what can i do to check for certain that
a   )i have no infections
b   )there are no gaping security holes in my system
c   )the status of my hardware to see if any components are dying

thanks

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

what can i do to check for certain that
a   )i have no infections
b   )there are no gaping security holes in my system
c   )the status of my hardware to see if any components are dying

I just noted the big one - Microsoft Windows 8  (X64) - No 8.1 installed ?? Internet Explorer 10 Out of date! You are not running Updates ??

I do not give a rats if you use I.E. or an ADD-ON browser, but you do use a M/soft system and these items do pop up and tell on you !!!!

First Rule - Run (Schedule) your Updates ........................

a ) just run regular scans with MBAM (your Antivirus should be active) and a ?? monthly ESET Online scan

b )  you seem to be "reasonably alert" to most things, but the Paid (Premium) version of MBAM, or similar, will prevent most malware from being activated.

Note that over 90% of problems occur between the chair you sit in, and your monitor. The programs can only do so much.

CCleaner (Version: 4.13) << Only use for basic Temp File Cleaning, or to find your Programs list. Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer for other Temps.

c ) Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details - We use it every day, as it will not show the Reg Number of the computer, but all other details.
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)

Also check the posts from hamluis, and you find Speccy and MiniToolBox in 90% of posts.

I just reviewed one (laptop) that was acting a bit *odd* and HDD temps were about 56 C (10 C too hot for me), although it read as generally OK.

Run System File Check as above -

All of this may be a total waste of time, as a sudden power outage, or one of many other reasons can cause failures.

Hard Drives have been known to fail after 5 minutes, or (another topic I have) 5 months.

EDIT for very minor change (1 word)

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 27 August 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

I just noted the big one - Microsoft Windows 8  (X64) - No 8.1 installed ?? Internet Explorer 10 Out of date! You are not running Updates ??

I do not give a rats if you use I.E. or an ADD-ON browser, but you do use a M/soft system and these items do pop up and tell on you !!!!

Some people do not wish to update to 8.1, it is not necessary, although myself I cannot see why not (other than perhaps interface changes). Also, IE 10 is the latest on Windows 8, you have to update to 8.1 to get IE 11. Anyway, there is no need to update from IE 9/10 to a later version if you do not use the browser and have it disabled. The newest versions of IE can sometimes cause more problems than it is worth too; IE 11 has been known to cause problems sometimes. Best to stick to 10 or 9 in my opinion unless you need the features in 11 (though I think 8.1 forces IE 11 upon you, not sure about that however).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

i've been updating all the security updates (one of them came last night for that matter) but i haven't made the 8.1 update, i'm concerned it will cause compatibility problems, i also don't like the look of a full microsoft account (i prefer local user). i never use IE at all but i have it on the absolute highest security setting (it won't download files and it prompts me every time a page tries to redirect) with these in mind is it safe? I didn't know there was a way to disable IE, i merely never use it. can you explain the disabling process? i have been installing all the security updates and the other ones as well which come through windows update, i have my machine set up to automatically check (but ask me before download/install) and i also have a weekly calendar alarm telling me to manually check for updates.

a    )  i run a "threat scan" with MBAM free every few days, usually whilst i am busy watching an online video, i let it scan in the background. I run eset online scanner every time i feel suspicious, this is sometimes less than once a month sometimes more.

b    ) i have tfc but haven't used it in ages, i'll run it later today.

c    )i'll also run a speccy snapshot.

with "system file check" can you explain this a bit further please.

regarding hard drives, i know they can die suddenly and i do keep all my personal files backed up on usb and the most important ones within my gmail account, but i would appreciate knowing if the noises i hear are something to be concerned about.

thank you  noknojon and xxtoffeexx

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

i've been updating all the security updates (one of them came last night for that matter) but i haven't made the 8.1 update, i'm concerned it will cause compatibility problems, i also don't like the look of a full microsoft account (i prefer local user). i never use IE at all but i have it on the absolute highest security setting (it won't download files and it prompts me every time a page tries to redirect) with these in mind is it safe? I didn't know there was a way to disable IE, i merely never use it. can you explain the disabling process? 

You can download the update from the store as long as you meet the requirements. I think there's a way to skip the full microsoft account making, I did it once whilst updating a laptop I was working on to 8.1.

Yes, that's probably about as safe as you can make IE. How to disable/turn off IE.

As to see whether your hard drive is in danger of dying, this article shows two good methods to check the SMART data of a hard drive. Any problems reported are definitely something to be concerned about.

For how to run system file checker, and what it does, see here.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 28 August 2014 - 08:50 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Searches related to sfc /scannow

sfc scannow vista

sfc scannow recovery console

sfc scannow windows xp

sfc windows 7

I am not able to fully, personally, answer your System File Check question so ...................

Also the answers here may be Generic, and I have not 100% checked all of these links. Do not click on any advertising.

Thank you xXToffeeXx for adding those words - Better than I would -

a ) You are only *Mopping the floor* after you may be infected - It will never prevent an infection.

b ) I run it daily.

c ) Thanks -

EDIT -

I am not being notified of posts, so we overposted -

Edited by noknojon, 28 August 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#13 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

thanks for the microsoft "how to turn off IE" article. i assume there is a way to turn it back on though should it ever be needed, this being a disabling method not a full uninstall.

speccy coming up now

#14 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

speccy results are here

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oXyIe0pZ27niLKv7BoFTURD

quite a goldmine of information i must say, can those details tell you enough to answers my three( infections?security holes? dying components? ) questions.

just ran tfc, got rid of 138 megabytes of junk. the majority of those megabytes coming from it's clearing of the recycle bin, a few hundred megabytes gets into there when i ever i delete old 3d model files.

as another thing, can the info in speccy's report tell you if there is a cause for these constant automatic maintenance prompts i get (little things that appear when you click on the flag icon in the system tray.), for the last few weeks there has been one there which has reappeared after every time i let it perform whatever it wanted to do, it's there right now.

Edited by rp88, 28 August 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Thought I had posted this, but a PM must have drawn my attention away or lack of caffine.

Toyota has its own maintaince check schedule (like mine) and I just follow on occasions .......

Re : Speccy -
I tend to look at a HDD and hope to see a lot of readings (generally) as below
Temperature: 38 °C
S.M.A.R.T attributes
Real value: 0
Current: 100
Worst: 100
Threshold: 0
Raw Value: 0000000000
I flick back up to see Installation Date: 06/09/2013 08:38:47 and check on Antivirus / Updates and a few other related items.See below -

Uncorrectable Errors Real value:  4,294,967,296 on a 4GB laptop that was only a few months old

Add a bad sfc /scannow report and this Win 8 looked bad to me -

Not much there for "me" to see, xXToffeeXx may see other items, but may also need to look deeper quite often.

Programs like Blender (Version: 2.65a-release) and some other arts things are not my area, and I did not even look for a FAQ area, but your i3CPU and 4GB RAM seem about basic in todays world.
Without details on *when / why / how often / programs in use* ETC I am not able to go beyond a basic check.

A sfc /scannow check may be the order of the day (plenty of information there) and it only takes 20 minutes (on average).

Plug it into a reliable power source, and wait for it to finish ..........

Then see above by Animal as unless it shows many System File Errors, I am stumped.

Recheck | *Last 10 errors | in MiniToolBox at times, and see if they make sense to you,

Edited by noknojon, 29 August 2014 - 05:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users