Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop boots to a black screen

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Freddyjames

Freddyjames

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hi guys, hoping you can help.

I have a laptop with windows 7 home premium, which boots to a black screen so I can't log in.

The black screen has just the power button in the bottom right, the ease of access in the bottom left, the windows 7 Premum logo/Writing at the bottom centre of the screen and a usable cursor. Ctrl/Alt/Del does nothing.

When I try booting to safe modes, it just restarts so that is not an option.

I have tried last known good configuration, booting from the disk and system restore, repair etc and nothing is sorting the problem out.

The laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote TM80

HDD: Hitachi HTS545032B9A300

CPU AND Athlon II P320 Dual Core 2100Mhz

Thanks in advance

Edited by Freddyjames, 24 August 2014 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Freddyjames

Freddyjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

Anybody got any ideas?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

When you press F8 is there an option to Disable Auto Restart on System Failure. Highlight that option and reboot. Does it throw an error code?

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

When you're on the black page, are you able to open the Task manager by hitting CTRL ALT DEL?

All is well in Paradise.

#5 CupOfJoeIT

CupOfJoeIT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

If as Rocky mentioned task manager will start with a Ctrl+Alt+Del can you go to processes and check if explorer.exe is starting? 

It sounds a lot like Explorer isn't starting up for some reason.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:54 AM

You should try both ways Ctrl+Shift+Esc will launch it directly.

Edited by technonymous, 02 September 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#7 Freddyjames

Freddyjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

I cannot access the task manager, I have already tried that.

Edited by Freddyjames, 02 September 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

Disable AutoRestart on System Failure has no effect either, correct?

#9 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hi Freddy James,

I have come across this on serial occasions once when Norton was used on a customers computer, once when a virus was present and on other occasions when explorer.exe and winlogon have been corrupted do you have a windows installation disc to hand you can try and use the repair option that is on the windows disc before continuing with anything is there any data that is needed that you have not yet backed up?

#10 Freddyjames

Freddyjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

When I disable auto restar and try to get in using safe mode, the laptop freezes then goes into system repair mode, which does not sort out the problem.

I have the installation disc and have attempted repair to no avail. There are files on the computer that are very important which I need so I cannot do a complete wipe/install

Edited by Freddyjames, 02 September 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#11 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

ok,

if you have another working computer remove the hard disk and connect it up using one of the following devices and get the data off yourself as it is the cheapest option.

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html

that way all your documents are safe!

then perform a fresh install.

the other option is to use a kaspky rescue disk and do a live scan and see if there is a virus stopping you from loading windows any software can be put back on later.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

When you click on the ease of access button, does a dialog windows appear. Select use onscreen keyboard and then click the Ctrl Alt Del keys. Do this twice. Does a login window appear with username and password?

If the above does not work and you do not wish to remove the drive and use a HDD adapter, a small linux OS on disk can be used to copy your files to an external drive or USB flash drive. If you wish to use a linux disk, I can detail the steps in my next post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#13 Freddyjames

Freddyjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Tried it JohnC - nothing happened.

I am assuming ny the responses there is no way to fix this then?

#14 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

as mentioned with johnc-21 this is an option however not all computers I have worked on have loaded these discs and on other occasions they have lost connection half way though data recovery I used Linux knoppix 6.2, 5.1 and 4.0 including Hiren Boot CD 

FalconFour’s Ultimate Boot CD and msdart and finally ERD Rescue cd's and the best tool that I have not mentioned was spot Mau also has this option here is a link to some other to download

with all those mentioned I have had more success with data recovery using tool mentioned in previous post.

however these discs are also good to have and I agree with johnC-21 that it is an option you could use.

Regards

Edited by ICT_Tech, 02 September 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

I am not familiar with Packard Bell. I think the option at this point is to get your data off first and hopefully the computer has a restore partition. I use Puppy linux because it is only a 130MB download and does the job.

Once the data is off, there is a possibility of manually recovering a restore point on the Computer if System Restore was enabled ( I do not think this is possible as it was for XP) or using the Hives stored in Regback if their date is before the problem happened.

Just pointing out that according to the Forum's TOS, I cannot help if you are going to use Hirens Boot Disk. I believe FalconFour's would also be excluded because of MiniXP.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 September 2014 - 10:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users