Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 Can't browse but online "o.k."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmkc1207

dmkc1207

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

ok gang I give up..this project handed to me by a friends son..win 8.1 pro Toshiba laptop..he SAID his trial of Kaspersky ran out so he uninstalled and installed AVG free..after that he was unable to get online so he uninstalled AVG..said it's been like that for 2 weeks..I duplicate the problem through all browsers, cannot hit any site..internet connectivity shows fine and I am able to ping any site from a command prompt..have googled my way around and have tried flushing dns commands etc; tried using the AVG removal tool which ran, the Kaspersky removal showed nothing as my searches have turned up many "leftover components" problems from software which caused the same type of problem..even went so far as trying the mostly unreliable "system restore" feature and all restore points have given me an "unable to restore your computer no changes made blah blah blah"...I don't want to reformat or refresh, he has all kinds of great graphics programs installed and tweaked..if I'm in the wrong forum please let me know, I found a few things like "pureleads" & "spigot" as far as malware but nothing that seemed malicious enough to cause this level of problems..any suggestions greatly appreciated...thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:03 AM

Try this tool ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ . This tool makes numerous mini-fixes that can improve connectivity.

#3 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

thanks elf...I ran thru the prompts and on the 31 "repair/remove" tests, I selected #'s 6,7,9,10,11,13,15, anything that seem to be related to connectivity and it repaired whatever was wrong..this forum, you and, the geeks in it are the best...bleeping rules!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users