Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions requested for replacement of Outlook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

I would like to ask for suggestions to replace M$ Outlook, but there are a few requirements:

1.  Must be free.

2.  The send/receive process must be a two step process, like this:
2.1.  Type up e-mail, and click send.  The e-mail is then in the outbox (queued) waiting to be sent.
2.2.  I click send/receive, and then the e-mail is sent, and incoming e-mails are received.

3.  It must be able to handle multiple e-mail accounts.

4.  Must be able to be selective on send/receive.  What I mean by this, is that individual accounts can be set to send, receive, or send and receive, like in Outlooks send/receive groups.

5.  Must be able to read e-mails in plain text.

6.  Must have filtering ability.  I mean for example, if it has words "X", "Y" or "Z" are in the text, I can send it to mailbox/folder (whatever).

7.  Web based email isn't an option.

8.  M$ Live Essentials isn't an option.

9.  Mozilla Thunderbird isn't an option.  This is because, I already use Mozilla Thunderbird for RSS feeds, and I don't want my e-mail and RSS feeds to be handled by the same program.  The program I used before for RSS feeds hasn't been updated since 2008.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

As to Thunderbird, it just may be an option........See if this might be a viable option for you: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/set-separate-copies-thunderbird-windows-7/

It would entail your having to create a new profile. A click on a created shortcut would allow you to select which Thunderbird to open.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

As to Thunderbird, it just may be an option........See if this might be a viable option for you: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/set-separate-copies-thunderbird-windows-7/

It would entail your having to create a new profile. A click on a created shortcut would allow you to select which Thunderbird to open.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it won't work.  I have TB running in the tray (via an add-on), and it checks for RSS updates every 30 minutes.  Per the article, "Now to switch profiles just close Thunderbird and restart using the shortcut and select the profile you wish to use".

Thanks anyway!

:bananas: :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users