Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raplacing an IDE HDD by a SATA SSD: possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 patchfree

patchfree

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

My computer was bilt on a GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard and the system (Win7 32 bits) is installed on an IDE ATA HDD 250 Go connected to a PATA (parallel) IDE socket. I would like to exchange this HDD for a SDD on a SATA interface.

Reading various forum it appears that this is possible by cloning the HDD on a SSD (256 Go) in a first step and then swapping the two supports.

But I am not a computer geek and I'll appreciate that somebody confirm that such thing is really possible and safe.

Thank you for advices.

Patch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Yes it's possible.  Sometimes the SSD will come with software (or it will be available for free on the manufacturers website) for doing exactly that.  For example the popular Samsung SSD's come with disk cloning software, and also a piece of software called "Samsung Magician" which should be installed after you change the disk over, and automatically optimises Windows for use with the SSD.  Other manufacturers provide similar software.

Before you connect the new SSD or perform any cloning, you should set the SATA mode for the AMD SATA controller to AHCI (rather than IDE or RAID) in BIOS and install the Windows AHCI drivers from the Gigabyte website.  AHCI gives better performance than IDE mode, particularly with SSDs.  Having the drivers pre-installed should ensure that you'll be able to use the SSD in AHCI mode without any issues.

If you are cloning a 250Gb drive to a 250Gb (or larger) drive there should be no issue with drive space.  But if you got for example a 120Gb SSD, you might have to make decisions about what you copy over and what you don't.

You can use more than one drive (if there is space in your computer), so you could have the SSD to run the operating system from, and the hard disk to provide extra storage space.  You will just have to go into BIOS and change the hard drive priority so that the SSD is booted first.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

I too have an SSD drive but like your motherboard, it only supports sata II. I got better use of my SSD by using a sata III 6gb pcie card. For the price, it's an inexpensive upgrade, I paid about $16. for a Syba SY-PEX40039 sata III controller card

#4 patchfree

patchfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks a lot for your advices and tips!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users