Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Premium won't Boot, HDD problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trotts19

trotts19

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Greetings,

One day, out of the blue,, my Dell E1505 laptop with a Toshiba MK1234GSX 120G HDD refused to boot. 

I get continual STOP F4 errors,  Having tested the disk with multiple programs, I know it has issues

I have been able to copy everything from it to my desktop with the help of MiniXP

It would be great if I could go back to using my laptop as before, so I have included testdisk.log for the deep search.

I have never used Testdisk to repair  a HDD problem so any step by step instructions or info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

Attached File  testdisk.log   21.91KB   7 downloads

Moderator Edit: Moved from Vista Forum to a more appropriate forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 August 2014 - 11:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

I think the only way you are going to get that laptop working again is with a new hard drive and a re-install.

I had a look at your log file and it suggests - this may be interpretative error on my part - a lot of problem areas. Hard drives are not repairable and, while software can handle some errors, they increase over time to the point where the hard drive dies. Personally, I would be grateful that I had been able to salvage my data.

Again, given the fact that this laptop was probably built between 2006 and 2008, it might be time for you to consider moving to a new one. Six to eight years is a fairly reasonable service life for a laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 trotts19

trotts19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

That's pretty much as I though, just wanted to give it a shot and use it as a learning experience.

The laptop isn't my main computer anyway, I have several

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users