Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Anti-Virus do you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 christo1

christo1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm looking for a good Anti-Virus, which would you recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

To Quote quietman7.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:

Avast is good.

Edited by NickAu1, 24 August 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program. If you don't want to pay then I recommend avast! Free Antivirus.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 chaznevada

chaznevada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Just so you know, I am on this website because Avast (paid version) does not recognize or block the ads by Blasteroids malware.  Their help desk said that because there are registry errors, Avast can't operate correctly and wanted to send me to a "Microsoft Engineer" to fix the registry (for a fee).  I am seriously considering changing to another provider.

Edited by chaznevada, 12 September 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Blasteroids is adware which display advertisements and often comes bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet. As such, it is more accurately classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs), Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) and Potentially Unsafe Applications do not fall into any of those categories and that is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes Blasteroids and the full (Premium) version includes a real-time Protection Module that runs at startup to prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source before it can infect your computer...so it protects agains this threat.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

#6 AlmaBallard

AlmaBallard

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

Good anti-virus works very great depending on how much your gadgets are infected. In my personal experience I have tried different anti-virus, but they are just like the same. Try to read top 10 antivirus for internet security reviews here http://goo.gl/zGZ1Mr.

Edited by AlmaBallard, 05 November 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, MRG-Effitas, etc...netizensreviews.com is not one of them (they use in-house testers).

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.

* Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites by AV-Comparatives.

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything. It takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users