Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex Won't Load Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ccozic

ccozic

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

I have had this Dell desktop computer for about 6 years running Win XPpro SP3, and it was running fine until my kids were playing an online game. 

While they were playing the cursor from the Microsoft wireless mouse disappeared. I put in a new battery and tried pressing the tiny buttons on the bottom of the mouse and the USB stick. Still nothing.

On the screen was a long horizontal box that said Press space bar to exit, or something like that.

I don't know if it was a prompt from the game, or some kind of spyware thing, but I pressed it and it shut down the browser.

Without a cursor, and looking at my desktop icons, I figured I better restart the computer. So I used my keyboard to start Shut Down. It then started to install 8 updates. After the last one, message was "WIndows shutting down". That stayed that way for a good 1/2 hour.

That didn't seem right, so I pulled the plug out of the back so that I could restart the PC. I then hit the power button, and the Dell screen with the OptiPlex number and the BIOS revision number came on as ususal, except the horizontal bar that shows system starting did not proceed left to right. It stopped not even 1/4 of the way across the screen, and it just stays that way.

I pulled the plug out to try again - same result.

I do not have a Dell or Windows install CD or any install from USB stick, so would like to know what my options are, short of taking it in for repair.

I can use my Netbook PC in the meantime, but I have so many photos on the desktop hard drive as well as pretty nice speakers to listen to music, so it would be great to have it back running.

This site has helped me before to deal with a problem, so I really appreciate any help someone can give. Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hello,

Is the Netbook also running XP?

#3 ccozic

ccozic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

No, Win7

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

The only thing I can recommend is to manually copy a Restore Point in XP. This would only work if you had System Restore Enabled on the XP computer. Hopefully it was enabled.

See this post. It explains the method for manually copying restore points in XP to the existing HIVE location.

Parted Magic in the link would also be able to copy over any important files to a USB flash drive or External Drive. Only copy, do not move.

As a side note, I do not think those updates were from Microsoft as support for XP and any security updates expired in April. I personally would put something else on the computer, perhaps a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint. XP is too much of a Security risk now for the average user.

Edit: See my Post #8 in the thread on the download link for PartedMagic and burning the iso file.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#5 ccozic

ccozic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I had done a System Restore on the XP computer a couple months back.

I will try the Parted Magic on USB, thank you!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

If you decide to use Parted Magic on a bootable USB instead of CD you can use the utility called Rufus. Opt out of checking for updates. Select iso image in the dropdown box and click the folder icon. Browse to the iso file and click start. This will wipe any data on the USB flash drive. Attach the USB flash drive. Boot the computer and tap the F12 key. A boot menu should appear. Select the USB device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users