Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which IP will it be please?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I hope i am in the right department for this questio!.

If i am remotely controlling a third party computer, which IP will be registered by any site that receives information from me?

Will it be the remote IP, or the IP of the computer which is controlling?

Many thanks and regards.

Jon

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2014 - 09:23 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

The public IP address of the machine you are connecting through.  If the machine is behind a router you will get the public IP address, not the 192.168.x.x address of the machine.  This is how VPNs protect your identity (though looking at the VPN logs you can be found).  You look like you are coming from the machine you are connecting through.  However if you connect to the site from your machine your public IP address will be the one that the site sees just as if you were connecting normally.  Just because you are connected to another machine does not mean all of your traffic goes through that machine.

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

Thank you very much. That is the answer i wanted to hear,  I shall be connecting to the site once i am connected to the remote, which is what i think you are referring to in your penultimate sentence.  Sorry but i really am a thicky when it comes to computers!

Sorry for the late reply but we have had many storms here in Philippines which does have a tendency to cock up the internet from time to time.All the best. JH

Edited by John in Oman, 28 August 2014 - 02:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users