Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help with dim laptop screen, I've tried everything!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 trickshot63

trickshot63

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:18 AM

This is a doozy. Got a Toshiba Satellite M305d with Windows Vista. Screen comes on fine at startup but then goes dim (viewable with flashlight). Also lights up when switching to external monitor or coming out of hibernation. I replaced the screen with a new one, replaced inverter with a new one, replaced video cable with a new one and re-installed the display driver! Nothing helped. Works fine on an external. What in the world could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

Are you positive your screen is set to the brightest setting? Can't overlook the obvious. 

That's a lot of components you've replaced & considering your external runs fine, so your video card is likely fine. 

Have you tried booting with a Linux install disc? If your screen is back to normal, I'd say it's a Windows issue. Haven't been doing any registry cleanups, have you? 

My suggestion at this time would be to disconnect the external & boot from a Linux DVD, see what happens. If you need one here it is. Or a Linux based partition/backup tool. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

All the Best, :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

Odds are the backlight is gone and you need to replace the panel.

#4 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Cat1092, I replaced the hard drive with a compatible one I had lying around and had the same problem.

#5 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Kilroy, I replaced the screen with a new one

#6 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Could overheating cause this problem?

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:26 AM

Could overheating cause this problem?

Overheating can cause a lot of problems, in fact, I'm sitting hare with an HP now, the CPU & HDD runs, but it won't boot, no BIOS screen, no keyboard control. Have replaced the PSU to no avail. It could be a portion of your MB damaged that controls the notebook screen, but the external output was spared. 

Now I have to decide, to replace the MB and/or the inverter you mention above, or sell the PC for parts. DDR2 RAM is pricey, so that's something. 

And yes, mine was overheating, but because it was an AIO unit, was afraid to damage it further be disassembly. Once it stopped working, had to. 

So you replaced the HDD too. Did you reinstall Windows? This is kind of puzzling, as you have a external monitor that runs fine, but the main one doesn't. And the computer has Windows Vista. So given it's age, I'd say no to sinking a ton more cash in, but if a simple fix, yes. It's not worth a MB replacement, no way could you recoup your money & maybe can't now. 

Check this out, pertains to cables, you've changed the LCD, see about the rest. Note that cables does go bad, a hot environment doesn't help. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/56241/Screen+no+longer+works

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Check the inverter cable at the hinge to see if is damaged in anyway. You can check the inverter and led bulbs to see if either of those are defective too

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/how-test-lcd-screen-inverter-in-laptop/

Although unlikely, your new screen/ inverter may be defective. It happens

Edited by Joe C, 25 August 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#9 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Cat1092, I had an old, but good, hdd lying around with Windows on it, and all drivers compatible.

Joe C, the cable, inverter, and screen are new, but, like you, I'm also thinking that one of theses may have been defective.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

Did you obtain the screen & inverter from a reliable seller? Some will pass off refurbished or used components off as new. With an inverter, that may be hard to tell just by looking, as if it was in a sealed enclosure, it may be 5-6 years old & appear to be new. Normally, this is away from the hotter components, but still can be, depending on model. 

With screens, it's harder to pull this off, most any used ones, with time, are going to have minor scratches, or the clear coat is going to be eroded to some degree from cleaning & normal use. You would notice this prior to install. 

The inverter, would require checking, as would the backlight. Some screens has no replaceable backlight, it's built in. 

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/troubleshooting-laptop-with-backlight-failure/

Unfortunately, I have a similar decision to make. I'm inclined to scrap the computer, however I don't have as much repair components invested as you & likely won't. I would like to check the backlight though, if it's not embedded in the screen, would chance that component, but not the whole nine yards, which can include the motherboard on some models. 

Nor do I have the option to add a monitor, no way am I going to purchase another AIO computer again, nor would recommend to others. Especially the HP brand. 

Cat

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

I am going to ask a possibly dumb question (yes dumb questions do exist), when you go into/stay in the BIOS screen, does it still dim on you after a time?  Didn't see that above.  I hate problem children  as I usually end up eating the parts cost on a borked job like that.

Edited by dpunisher, 25 August 2014 - 09:23 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Replace your old screen that you removed and connect it to the inverter, if it does the same thing as the new screen and your positive the cable from the motherboard to the inverter (getting 12 volts) is good then the inverter is working. You should consider to RMA that new screen because it's not right

#13 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

dpunisher- it also happens in bios. 

cat1092, I do believe either the "NEW" screen, or "NEW" inverter is the problem. The new cable actually looks new. I could tell that it had never been installed before...very straight and not one crease.

I ordered a cheap inverter tester. Guess I'll wait on that to come in.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP so far guys. Your time and expertise are much appreciated! I love this site.

#14 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

Still waiting on my tester. I will post results

#15 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

Got my tester and the screen is showing good and bright...must be the inverter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users