Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 64 hangs when doing clean install

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

I am working on a Toshiba Satellite L875D laptop.  When I got it, it would not boot at all.  The owner never made any backups of data or restore discs.  I am trying to do a clean install as the recovery system portion does not work either.  I ran memtest and it passes.

I ordered media from toshiba and they sent it on a USB stick and this system will not boot from USB.  So I am trying to load with a Dell installation disc to at least get it to do something.

The first time it loaded and gave me the screen to do a repair.  But it never loads nor recognizes any drives.  Which is what (with my limited knowledge) seems to be the problem.  It doesn't know where the primary partition is, it sees nothing.

So then I tried to do a complete clean install.  Gets as far as choosing what language, click on next and it just sits there with the little circle spinning.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.  Especially any that could help me get her files (family photos) off the thing before any destructive action.

I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance.

OH, is there a way to take the USB media and transfer it to a DVD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

If that is a Dell recovery disk, then it's unlikely that the Toshiba has the right drivers for it. You can download Windows 7 from Digital River

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/digital-river-windows-7-iso/618efa8a-24b5-458e-b1c6-24c7ba828099

Did you format this  drive? if not the you can connect the hard drive to another pc and recover your pics. If you did format this pc's hard drive then stop using it and connect it to another pc and run a third party recovery program to retrieve the data before something overwrites it, and copy your data to the pc your connected to

You can try Recuva for data recovery

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Edited by Joe C, 23 August 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

It did the same with the iso file from Digital River, that's why I then tried the Dell installation disc.

That's my problem, I cannot even get to the drive to format it.  It will not boot, period.  It won't even get me to the screen where you can choose which partition to install on.

If this laptop is infected, and I attach it to my laptop, won't I pick up the infection?

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

This laptop had Windows 8 on it before?

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/L870/L875D-S7332

You have to go into the bios and disable secure boot in order to install Windows 7

Here's a guide:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp

Edited by Joe C, 23 August 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

It acts like it wants to start Windows and does the initial splash screen and then goes black with a large (not proper resolution) cursor arrow.  I can move the cursor all over and that's all it does.

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Did this laptop previously have Windows 8 on it?

Did you disable Secure Boot in the bios yet?

Try holding down the F2 key and turn on the laptop to see if you can access the bios

Edited by Joe C, 23 August 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

No, it came with Win 7 64 bit Home Premium.  I didn't see anything in BIOS to set disable secure boot. 

Thank you for your help.  I'm about ready to throw this thing out.  It's not that old.  She bought it Sept 2012.  BUT, it's been used by the entire family, including brothers, mother in laws and girl friends who have "set things up properly" for her.  She knows nothing and when she started getting BSOD's she would just power it down and ignore it for a few days.  So from an operational standpoint it has not been handled properly and I'm not sure if she ever ran virus scan although she said Norton 360 was installed.  But anytime she got updates she ignored them as she was afraid to download anything.  But the kids use to play games on it and search the web.

I'm just afraid to try and download her files to my laptop (mine is a brand new Lenovo and near top of the line) as I don't want to goof my computer up.

#8 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

What's the entire model number of this laptop?

There more to it than you gave, it should be L875D-XXXX (where XXX are supposed to be more numbers). Look on the bottom to see if you can give us the entire model number

#9 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

It's L875D-S7340

Now I'm having problems when I take the media disc out to even get into the BIOS.  It shipped with Windows 7 on it.  All the stickers on the unit.  I'll continue to try and get into the BIOS

#10 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Finally got into BIOS.  There are no options for secure boot in the BIOS.  And the USB ports cannot be booted from.

#11 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Only pc's that are capable of Windows 8 have secure boot. This pc probably does not have secure boot, but it does not hurt to check anyway.

I can not locate that model number from Toshiba, Can you burn a Windows 7 .iso from Digital River? (You need an .iso burning program and a dvd burner)

#12 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yes, I already did that.  When I boot, it shows that it is loading Window files, then stops and goes to total black screen.  It seems like it's getting worse.  It had in my past attempt, gotten to the screen where you choose what language and then froze.

#13 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

I will be gone for most of today and have to return to this PC tomorrow morning.  So any suggestions are welcome, I'm willing to try anything to get this thing loaded with Windows OS.  Thank you in advance.

Tryn

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

With the USB flash drive attached boot the computer and at the same time tap the F12 key. Does a Boot menu appear? Select the USB flash drive.

#15 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

No that does work either.  These are weird USB drives as they are USB-2 and USB-3 and you enable through BIOS if they should act as USB or USB-3.  So far even setting boot order to USB results in no luck booting off the USB drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users