Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error 0xc000021a after windows updates

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bob.

Bob.

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Asus S200E notebook, Win 8 Pro, UEFI.

I recently took in this laptop for my neighbor. The original idea was to scan and clean up the system. I set the laptop up in my office, ran an MSE full scan with no issues. Then ran a full Malwarebytes scan, which returned a few pups, which were removed.

After tending to other matters, I turned back to the laptop to find notification that there was a problem and windows had to restart. I ran another MWB scan only to have the system restart again. This time, the system tried to repair itself with automatic repair. No go. All reboots ended up back at the advanced startup options screen. No ability to restore the system image, no system restore. All I could get to was the cmd prompt.

Googling turned up all sorts of people with this issue (mostly older posts), but very few solutions.

This fix got my system booted again by removing pending update operations.

Apparently, an MS update is the source of the problem. To further reinforce this, until I turned off automatic updating, it would happen again. I also disconnected the machine from my network to revoke its internet access.

So the machine is no longer having start issues, but I'm not sure which update it is. I have 17 pending optional updates, but those haven't installed, so I doubt they're an issue.

I checked update history and there are 29 failed updates. All are dated within the period that the laptop has been in my possession.

I think it would be quit tedious to hide each one individually, only to blue screen, enter the DISM fix, get back into windows and do it all again.

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone has any ideas (or solutions!) on how I could identify which update is resulting in the stop error, or any other information that could help my situation.

To muddy the waters, I've been trying to image the drive via Acronis TI 2014 but can't complete due to 'found disk errors' on C:\. Trying to create a system image from within windows halts due to disk errors also, but chkdsk reports no errors (from windows and from cmd). I doubt this is related, though, as there were some problems with that issue last year. I mention it only on the chance that it is somehow related, but I think it likely that I'll be dealing with that in another thread.

Just in case it helps, I've attached 2 screenshots listing the failed updates. Again, using DISM to remove pending updates got me back into windows. Turning off Auto Update prevented re-occurrences:

Failed updates part 1 & 2.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Microsoft pulled some botched updates after people got BSOD's. Specifically

KB 2982791, KB 2970228, KB 2975719, and KB 2975331

#3 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, none of 'my' failed updates are on that list. I'm running sfc on that machine atm, so I may try to re-enable wupd again to see if things change. Thanks again for your help. I'll update the thread if the solution presents itself. Any other ideas appreciated.

#4 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Still working on this. Looks like updates have caused more than one issue here. I found this method to search for specific installed updates, which is so much better than combing through the update history one by one. It seems like the search box in control panel would actually find specific updates, but it doesn't. It finds nothing, even though I can see the kb# in the window prior to the search. Since sfc /scannow can't fix the corrupt files it found, I'd like to remove some updates reported to cause the sfc error I'm receiving.

is there a way to find a specific update in Installed Updates for removal without combing through 177 updates?

Again, thanks for any help.

Edited by Bob., 24 August 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

I would think you could search Updates. Type Updates in the Search Box. Click on Windows Updates. In the Left Pane select View Update History. In the upper right corner type the update number in the search box. This does not find the update? You can also click on date installed to sort by date.

#6 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

No, the search box doesn't work on 3 different machines here (1 win 8, 2 win 7). I did sort by date and, since I know the date through the list hotfix command, it makes it a bit easier. I did find them. Just seems like that search fundction should work. I'm searching from Update History and Installed Updates.

Are you able to use the search box to find updates on your system(s)?

Edited by Bob., 24 August 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Right now I am using a computer with XP. I have not had the opportunity to check on the Windows 7 computer (never had to search for updates) but I am able to use the search box to search inside a directory so I thought it should work for Updates. If it doesn't I think that is something Microsoft fell down on. When the Windows 7 computer is free I will take a look at it.

These updates are in the WIndows folder. I will see if I can search for an update inside the Windows directory when I get a chance.

Edit: I just checked the WIndows 7 computer and you cannot search inside of Control Panel. And I thought the updates were in the same location as XP and I guess I am wrong. They are in %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

In that folder are a number of subfolders. Clicking on one of those brings a number of hotfixes with the KB prefix. Kind of a mess. You can search the Download folder for a KB hotfix.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#8 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

That doesn't seem to work here. Not even Search Everything finds them, but even if it did, I really need the function to work inside control panel so that I can find and uninstall them. I agree, MS fell down hard on this one.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I am on XP. I found this utility and it works on XP but I am not sure about Windows 8. Download the zipped file. Run it and it will list the updates. You can search using Edit > Find

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wul.html

Edit: Can also do an HTML report and under options will let you select which updates to list. Windows, .NET, or Other Updates.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#10 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the links. A definite download, as I use many of Nirsoft's utilities. I did already list the updates on the machine using the method found here (nirsoft's tool seems much easier) and was able to finally find them in the control panel uninstalled updates by sorting on date and that thinned the 'combing' down to about 20 files (lots of updates installed on 10-13-13). I'm running sfc again to see if it can find and fix corruptions (if any, now).

I just can't believe that the search function doesn't work on updates...it seems ridiculous. Thus, why I asked if it works on your win7-8 machines. No hurry, but when You're able to check, I'd appreciate knowing if it works for you. Thanks again!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

See my edited post #7. It did not work for me either. In fact the person that was on Windows 7 trying to do the search on the update list said WTH.

#12 Bob.

Bob.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

Right now I am using a computer with XP. I have not had the opportunity to check on the Windows 7 computer (never had to search for updates) but I am able to use the search box to search inside a directory so I thought it should work for Updates. If it doesn't I think that is something Microsoft fell down on. When the Windows 7 computer is free I will take a look at it.

These updates are in the WIndows folder. I will see if I can search for an update inside the Windows directory when I get a chance.

Edit: I just checked the WIndows 7 computer and you cannot search inside of Control Panel. And I thought the updates were in the same location as XP and I guess I am wrong. They are in %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

In that folder are a number of subfolders. Clicking on one of those brings a number of hotfixes with the KB prefix. Kind of a mess. You can search the Download folder for a KB hotfix.

I'll save this, as it might be useful, although I think the Nirsoft util may be more handy, since verifying that they are on the system is all that can be done. It seems that a native search and remove function is not available. Seems like a no-brainer that this should be available in CP!

SFC just completed and it still cannot fix corrupt files. My nature lends itself to finding the issue, as it may come in handy in the future, but this machine seems to have so many issues, I may have to wipe the drive clean and start over.

Amongst the issues: The inability to create system images, either via windows 8 Recovery or boot CDs using Acronis and also Macrium free winpe boot cd due to disk errors, none of which can be found with chkdsk (from windows or admin cmd prompt) or seagate tools.

This doesn't fall within the scope of this thread, but just brings me to the likelihood of an inevitable reinstall.

Thanks very much for your helpful input. I'm very appreciative that this forum and a few others exist and that individuals like you are willing to put in the time to help - Thanks!

Edited by Bob., 24 August 2014 - 02:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users