Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer unrepairable cant retrieve info from hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DellW

DellW

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

My HP Pavilion dv 7 with windows7 was totally smashed. (long story)

I took out the hard drive and attempted to retrieve my files using a SATA cable. I used cables to go USB 2.0 to IDE SATA Drive Adaptor. I followed the directions and even watched instructional videos on you tube. The hard drive will not even budge. Will not spin and can not be detected on my other computer. My question is: Is there anything else I can do to retrieve my files? I have given up all hope. If you have any suggestions that wont cost much money, I would appreciate it. I am not willing to take my hard drive to a repair shop. I can always start over. I just thought maybe someone here could suggest something else.

I hope I posted this in the right place.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Make sure it's getting the power from that power brick and try another sata cable, I have one of those sata to usb converters too and it had a bad sata cable right out of the new box

Hard drives are fragile....if it has gotten damaged in any way it might be DOA

#3 DellW

DellW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

The light is on so it is getting power. My computer took a really bad beating. I think the hard drive is dead. Thanks for your feedback Joe

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

Do you have another good HDD to check the Cables 2 Go device with? Lets make sure that is working like it's supposed to be

Edited by Joe C, 23 August 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Worth a try, IMO:  Data Recovery , GParted, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic474881.html .

Louis

#6 DellW

DellW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Thanks to all for the help.  I will try all of your suggestions. :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users