Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with retrieving pics off of Sitronix Multimedia Usb Device

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowboys647

cowboys647

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hi I have a photo keychain that I'm trying to recover the photos from. When I connect it, it says it needs to be formatted which would delete all my photos which is against the point. I tried using multiple recovery programs but it seems that the files have to be deleted first before I can recover them. I also tried to use the command prompt to check the disk (or something like that) and it said that the drive was Raw. I guess that means it could be corrupt or something. I used multiple usb ports and made sure the drivers were up to date. The pictures still show on the device so I would assume that would mean they can't be corrupted. I'm using Windows 7 by the way. Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Download the Windows version of Testdisk v6.14, not v7,and unzip to a folder on your desktop. Double click PhotoRec exe file and let it scan the device. It will try to recover the files on the keychain. The names will be generic so you will have to open the files and rename them accordingly. Do not recover the files back to the keychain or you will lose everything.

I am not sure how the pictures show on the device when it is listed as RAW.

PhotoRec step by step

#3 cowboys647

cowboys647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'm not sure how to attach images here but I choose the device and ask it to scan and then it says it needs to know the filesystem type where the files are stored. It gives me two choices, either [ext2/ext3] or other. I've tried both and then choose a place to save. After it finishes scanning, it tells me 0 files were saved..

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

That's interesting. I am wondering why it decided to choose ext2/ext3. Try Testdisk. It's in the unzipped folder. See this guide. It uses a linux disk but you are using the windows version. Let Teskdisk to a quick search and if it does not find anything do a deep search. If it detects a partition, highlight it and press "P". Hopefully it will list your files.

Edit: If the files are listed, post back. Do not write anything.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#5 cowboys647

cowboys647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

I got to the point where I did a quick search and it said "Partition sector doesn't have the endmark 0xaa55." At the bottom it says try to locate partition but pressing enter doesn't do anything at this point.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Okay, the only thing I can think of is to use a linux distro and see if it can find the pictures but I doubt it. Download Puppy linux v5.2.8. Burn the iso file and boot Puppy. Attach the USB keychain. You should see a USB icon appear next to your CD rom drive if you have one. Click once on the USB icon. A file manager window will open. If there are image files shown in the File Manager. Click on one and see if it opens.

Edit: I found this. The device appears to use some kind of non-standard file system. I am not sure how to go about retrieving the data. If Puppy does not work, I do not know what else to do. Sorry.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#7 cowboys647

cowboys647
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

Having a tough time downloading the puppy linux iso. I dowloaded one from the sight but I don't think it was for windows as there was no iso in the folder after extraction. The only download for windows in the section that I could find was in a foreign language and the file I received was an .sfs file.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Here is the iso. Iso files can be used across OS's

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

Edit: There should be no extraction of the iso file. Just right click and burn image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2014 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users