Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All txt files changed to .ctbl

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryunnosuke

ryunnosuke

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hey, I'm having a problem where all of my txt files have been changed to .ctbl files. When I open them I get a bunch of gibberish or japanese text. It happened overnight and I cannot afford to lost these files, I have some of which are valuable and irreplacable to me. Someone told me that it could be a cryptolocker virus. I have no physical backups either. Please help!

Edited by ryunnosuke, 23 August 2014 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Please see this guide and FAQ. Unfortunately there is no way to decrypt the files unless a ransom is paid. Did you get a Ransom screen?

#3 ryunnosuke

ryunnosuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Please see this guide and FAQ. Unfortunately there is no way to decrypt the files unless a ransom is paid. Did you get a Ransom screen?

No, I did not.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

You may want to post in this thread and say that your files are encrypted but did not receive a ransom screen. What you have may be a new variant. Is it only txt files that were encrypted? If so, you may want to mention that too. According to the FAQ, all data files are encrypted.

#5 ryunnosuke

ryunnosuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Apparently more than just txt files have been converted. I've run my malware bytes and quarentined  what it found. Still, many of my files are corrupted and I don't know what to do to recover them. I don't have any restore points or backups.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I am not sure why the ransome screen did not appear but the only way you will be able to recover your files is to pay the ransom and there is a time limit too. I would post in the thread I linked to and ask why you have not received a ransom screen.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

OP reposted, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542564/ctb-locker-or-decryptallfilestxt-encrypting-ransomware-sets-extension-to-ctbl/ .

This topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users