Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All txt files changed to .ctbl

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryunnosuke

ryunnosuke

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hey, I'm having a problem where all of my txt files have been changed to .ctbl files. When I open them I get a bunch of gibberish or japanese text. It happened overnight and I cannot afford to lost these files, I have some of which are valuable and irreplacable to me. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

A quick Google search shows that .ctbl files are a sign of a cryptolocker virus, a particularly nasty virus that encrypts all your files and holds them for a ransom, usually the virus will notify you that you need to send a certain amount of money to them for them to unencrypt the files. Unfortunately, if they really did encrypt your files, you probably will not be able to unencrypt them. You would need their encryption key. It's possible that it's a fake cryptolocker virus and that it didn't actually encrypt the files. Try copying one of the files and renaming it back to "filename.txt" and see if it opens.

Either way, you definitely need to post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum to see if you are infected and find out how to remediate.

Do you have any physical backups of your files?

-- Matt

#3 ryunnosuke

ryunnosuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

I don't believe I do. I checked my back up in system maintanence and it's never been activated. I'll post in the forum you suggested.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

Topic closed to avoid confusion, OP reposted at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542564/ctb-locker-or-decryptallfilestxt-encrypting-ransomware-sets-extension-to-ctbl/ ..

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2014 - 07:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users