Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STARTUP PASSWORD ... Anyone ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Midnite

Midnite

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I had a client come to me with a PC that has this on it at startup how does it get there and how can it be removed ? I am sure the client didnt install or change anything on thier system that would have caused this ... so what happen ? Anyone ? and any help getting this removed would be great

thanks so very much

Midnite

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:58 AM

Greetings and :welcome: to BleepingComputer,
My name is xXToffeeXx, but feel free to call me Toffee if it is easier for you. I will be helping you with your malware problems.

A few points to cover before we start:

• Do not run any tools without being instructed to as this makes my job much harder in trying to figure out what you have done.
  • Make sure to read my instructions fully before attempting a step.
  • If you have problems or questions with any of the steps, feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.
  • Please follow the topic by clicking on the "Follow this topic" button, and make sure a tick is in the "receive notifications" and is set to "Instantly". Any replies should be made in this topic by clicking the "Reply to this topic" button.
  • Important information in my posts will often be in bold, make sure to take note of these.
  • I will attempt to reply as soon as possible, and normally within 24 hours of your reply. If this is not possible or I have a delay then I will let you know.
  • I will bump a topic after 3 days of no activity, and then will give you another 2 days to reply before a topic is closed. If you need more time than this please let me know.
  • Lets get going now :thumbup2:

==========================

Hi Midnite,

I believe I know what has happened here; it seems like a hacker or scammer may have taken control of your client's PC and used syskey to lock the SAM registry hive. There is a chance I will not be able to do anything, but I do have a few steps to try first before that.

First thing I need to know is what operating system the computer runs, if you know.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 Midnite

Midnite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

windows 8.1

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,054 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hi Midnite,

Please confirm you can get to the Advanced Startup Options (see methods 4-6 here or try SHIFT+F8 if you can, if you do not know how to get to Advanced Startup Options).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,054 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hi Midnite,

This is a 3 day bump:

It has been more 3 days since my last post.

• Do you still need help with this?
  • If after 48hrs you have not replied to this thread then it will have to be closed.

xXToffeeXx~

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,054 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users