Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer will not save downloads

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Midnite

Midnite

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

Every time I click to download a link in EXPLORER 11 on windows 7 it fails it starts to download normally then when it does the security scan part it fails the download and does not save it to the HD ? However the same downloads work in Firefox

I have reset IE and malware scanned my system I am at a loss for why this is happening ? Anyone with any ideas please let me know ... I thought it was my AV ( had symantec Endpoint ) but I uninstalled it and went with windows Microsoft security ...

Anyone with any ideas please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

I didn't think IE 11 could be run on windows 7, i heard somewhere that the latest IE version for everything other than 8.1 is IE10. Anyway, i avoid internet explorer but i did once change a few of IE 10's security settings up to it's absolute maximum. This had the effect of IE 10 refusing to download any files and requiring me to click a little "link" every time page tried to redirect. This blocking of downloads was not after any type of scan but it was an instant refusal as soon as one attempted any download. if that is what you have experienced it is caused by IE's security settings being on the superhigh setting(which is where you should leave them), and if  that is the case i would suggest just using firefox (or getting google chrome). If this is not a consequence of the security settings for IE i have no clue what it is, sorry.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 mhrabley

mhrabley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

I too am having the problem of downloading and/or running anything from IE11. When I try to reset to default the "resetting user customizations" fails.   I am at a loss for how to fix this problem and not being able to download anything that could help is killing me.  Is there anybody out there that knows how to fix this downloading issue with IE11?

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Is there a particular error message or warning coming up when you try to download something but it fails? (either midnite or mhrabley) . Personally i would advise giving up on IE as your browser, chrome and firefox are both better in many ways, but i would still be concerned about WHY this is happening. It is clear something is wrong so even if you give up IE it is good to know what happened. 

as for your mention of "running anything", it is always sensible to download a file rather than run it. downloading lets you scan the file with your antivirus before running it and also gives you time to have a closer look at it before running. download it into a folder you can easily find, like "my documents", "desktop" "my pictures"( even if it isn't an image file) or "downloads". 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users