Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK I don't get it! Hard drive problem asus P5N-D (SOLVED)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 webe123

webe123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

OK now this is something I have never encountered before in all the years I have used a computer. I have an Asus P5N-D Motherboard with 8 gigs of DDR2 ram and quadcore processor . Recenly, my had drive died and I had to get a new one..so I got one a WD 500GB Black label. When I put i in my computer on SATA 1 it did not read the drive...I tried all SATA ports....I put in a band new SATA cable...even tried moving the RAM (taking some out puting some in) BUT NOTHIN WORKED..it STILL would not rcognise my hard drive in the BIOS. No...I did not update my motheboard BIOS, but I had never had his kind of problem either.

So I go t my local computer repair shop and they put a diffeent hard drive i m computer to see if the BIOS will recognise it...it did right away! They tried another SATAhard drive also recognised instantly on SATA 1! I was scratching my head wondering WHAT was ging on...I thought it was th had drive just bin bad....so THEN they put in my old hard drive and...WAT DO Y KNOW....it worked....in BIOS on SATA 1!                              

I know that computer shop owner looked at me funny....but no matter WHAT I did last night...I culd NOT get the BIOS to recognise th hard drive! The ONLY thing I an think of that would hav "set i right" wa somehow when those other two drive were hooked up....they somehow set right whatever ws wron i the BIOS? I really don't know...still stumped!  Bt mcomputer loaded win 7 great and is working FINE!   The question I have is what made it act wacky in h first place? I have read on other forums about an AU P5N-D motheboad no recognising a SATA drive and those guys tried everything like  did...ye they had no luck. This is a really weird mystery to me. Never had to deal with this before! If anyone wants to take a gues....please feel free!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS! I am using my laptop and the keyboard on it is horrible!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

And the solution was?

#4 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

The solution happened as I stated in my above post, when I took it to the computer store, they simply tried two other completely different SATA hards drives in the SATA 1 slot I had....after they found out those were working fine and showing up in the BIOS correctly....they then simply put my hard drive I was having trouble getting the BIOS back in SATA 1 to recognise it....and THIS TIME.....it recognised it right away.

I still do not know why it simply took putting another SATA hard drive in the same slot for my old hard drive to start working again? That is just beyone weird to me.

Edited by webe123, 25 August 2014 - 09:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users