Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating thumbnails in Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JimConsidine

JimConsidine

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi.

I have been fighting with this since I purchased this notebook with Windows 7 in 2010.

I do a lot of photo editing.  I may have around 40K image files on my computer.  When I am doing a lot of editing, a problem arises as the thumbnails do not update in window explorer.  So, if I am working on several images and will open and reopen files, if I have made an improvement on a file, the thumbnail will not update and it gets confusing trying to find a picture that I have just edited.

I have sought suggestions on this issue a dozen different times.  When I troll through forums, this is a  common problem.

Here's a spoiler alert ... cleaning the thumbnail cache does not fix the problem. Matter of fact, here is a classic "cookbook" recipe on how to fix this from another forum ... 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10797-thumbnail-cache-clear-reset.html 

As usual, the answer is never found and the solutions move from the sublime to the ridiculous.  

Since Bleeping is my favorite stop, I thought I would seek an answer here rather than letting Google find another false positive to my question.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

My experience is that the thumbnails reflected by Explorer view...only update when the folder/Explorer window is opened. 

I suppose that using a photo album, rather than explorer, might result in the desired updated images you seek.

I tend to give any edited image a new filename, keeping track of them in that manner while also retaining my originals.

Louis

#3 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Louis,

Thank you for this information.  It looks like the only way to deal with Explorer is to avoid it.

Jim Considine

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

When you put a small amount of pics in a folder, let's say 20, do they all thumbnail quickly?

It's been my observation that the more files you have in an individual folder, the harder it is for Windows to thumbnail them all.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

Oh no doubt that is why this problem is happening.  I looked it up .... 31,000 files in 1500 folders, give or take.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

I have an i7 Dell XPS, and I have the same issue as you.

I make other folders and spread the content around until the file count is low enough that all of the folders will thumbnail the contents.

IMO, there are only two possible solutions.

More power or faster hard drives.

I have an SSD for Windows & programs and all my data is on regular hard drives, from 2 to 3 TB's.

If 2 TB SSD's were available at a reasonable price, I bet that would solve my problem, but until then, all I can do is reduce the content of folders that are too full to properly thumbnail everything.

In short, it is my belief that there is nothing that can be done to cure the issue, short of getting more power and/or speed, or spreading the content around to other folders.

Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will come up with an inspirational solution for both of us.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

FWIW:  I know that the number of files influences how long it takes Explorer to reflect the thumbnails...but I would think that should be expected.

I have some video files (5-6000) that I change from detail view to thumbnail view often...it takes a matter of seconds for all of them to appear in thumbnail view.  I've never timed it but, in my case, a complication may also be the fact that Windows loads only the first image from any video file.

I tend to think it's a memory issue more than a processing issue...with emphasis on graphics RAM, not system.  But...I'm just guessing :).

Honestly...a graphics editor would give greater control and responsivity than Explorer, IMO, and I see no reason not to use one when the situation calls for it.

Louis

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Ram is something to consider with this issue.

I'm fairly certain that if a computer was a bit on the short side, that could have an effect.

I tend to agree with you that processing power is not the end all in this matter, unless it's a really weak CPU.

If I had to bet on it, I'd bet on hard drive speed, not the RPM, just the mbps.

I'm almost positive that it wouldn't happen with an SSD.

But I'm just guessing too.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

FWIW:  I know that the number of files influences how long it takes Explorer to reflect the thumbnails...but I would think that should be expected.

I have some video files (5-6000) that I change from detail view to thumbnail view often...it takes a matter of seconds for all of them to appear in thumbnail view.  I've never timed it but, in my case, a complication may also be the fact that Windows loads only the first image from any video file.

I tend to think it's a memory issue more than a processing issue...with emphasis on graphics RAM, not system.  But...I'm just guessing :).

Honestly...a graphics editor would give greater control and responsivity than Explorer, IMO, and I see no reason not to use one when the situation calls for it.

Louis

The quality of the folder organizer is really tenuous with graphics editors. Can you recommend a program to use in place of Explorer?  I've never ventured into this area.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Sorry, I cannot...I employ a simple technque of renaming any edited version of graphics which I process, so I just look at the filename and determine which is original, 1st edit, 2d edit, and so on.  And I'm just playing around anytime that I deal with graphics :).

I have used the Kodak, PhotoImpact, ACDSee, IrfanView, and others in the past and it seems to me that the Kodak EasyShare was simple (which I always like).  As I said, by renaming the edits, I don't have a problem determining which are originals and which are revisions and when they were processed.

Louis

#11 JimConsidine

JimConsidine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

Louis,

Thanks.

Renaming files may be a behavior that I might be forced to adopt.  I remember back in the dark ages (pre-Y2K) that there were applications that allowed the user to store their files in replications of Windows Explorer. They probably indexed when Windows was dragging it's feet on that matter.  I guess the need to build a better Windows Explorer is not as much of an issue now.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users