Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't Start

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

I have a Fujitsu Siemens P-Series LIFEBOOK Windows XP laptop. It worked fine but somebody used it and when I turned it on I got this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to themost recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

I tried everything, even Safe mode but everytime I choose any of the options it goes through the Windows XP startup logo and a blue screen comes up. I cannot see what is written as it comes and goes quickly, plus I have absolutely no access to my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Press F8 at startup to get to safe mode and select

Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure

What is the bluescreen error?  Do you have access to another XP computer?

#3 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

I don't know what the bluescreen error is like I said, it comes and goes in seconds. I have access to other pcs but not another XP

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Disabling Automatic restart at System Failure should allow you to see the BSOD.  Using another computer, there is a chance we could restore the Registry if you had System Restore Enabled.

#5 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

I can't get into the system at all, therefore Safe mode does nothing.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Okay, the only solution now is to attach the hard drive to another computer to retrieve your data or use a small linux distro and a USB key to copy over your data and possibly restore the registry. Which option do you prefer?

#7 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thank you for your prompt help.

Basically I don't have any precious data so we can skip that part. The main priority to me is getting it back to work just in case I need the laptop in the future.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Okay,

I usually recommend Puppy linux but for this copy and paste move of the registry files it would be best to use Parted Magic as that is a little easier to work with. You can download the last free version here.

Burn the iso file by double clicking it in Windows 7 or Right Click > Burn Image.

Post back when you have that done and know that the disk boots to the desktop of Parted Image.

Edit: This possibly working depends on if there are any restore points available on the XP hard drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

ry12, don't you have a recovery disc, or a backup of some kind?  Sounds like this is what you need at this point if possible.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

Alright I burnt it using ImgBurn, what should I do next?

Thanks in advance!

PS: @pcpunk unfortunatly I have non of those things, it is one a few laptops laying around the house with issues nobody ever tried to solve.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Firstly,  Double Click the Disk Health Icon and see if your Hard Drive passes the Diagnostic.  If the drive is okay, then you can do the following depending on if you have Restore Points. If not, there is another location for the registry but this backup was created when the OS was installed so anything added after would need to be reinstalled. It could be a mess. Personally, if you do not have any restore points, I would put a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint on the computer as XP is no longer getting security updates.

Here are the instructions. I modified them a little from this guide. The guide does have pictures you can click on to get an idea of what is going on. Yours will be a little different as you are using a linux distro.

In File Manager open up the System Partition and browse to 

\System Volume Information

This is the directory with restore points. In the directory is a subdirectory with  a file name of restore and a long alphanumeric name after it. Double click on it. You will see subdirectories named RP and a number. Double Click the one with the latest date. You will see another directory called Snapshot. Double Click that. It will have the following files.

_registry_user_.default
_registry_machine_security
_registry_machine_software
_registry_machine_system
_registry_machine_sam

Copy these files to the following Directory

Windows\System32\Config

After the copy, Rename the following files in the Windows\System32\Config Directory

default   to   default.bak
security  to   security.bak
software  to software. bak
system  to  system.bak
sam  to   sam.bak

Rename the files you just copied

_registry_user_.default  to  default
_registry_machine_security   to  security
_registry_machine_software  to  software
_registry_machine_system   to   system
_registry_machine_sam  to  sam

Exit out of  PartedMagic and Reboot. Hopefully you will be able to get to Windows. Good Luck.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

ry12 if you can't get this fixed the do like JohnC said and install a linux distro and you will be on your way.  As you said this is just a laptop that was lying around the house so you got nothing to lose and you won't be infected.  My XP was a malware magnet, some of it was my browsing habits but still.  Linux startup is way faster and these guys have shown us newbies that the pc will use way less resources and run cooler.  Really if you have someone using that pc that has bad browsing habits like I do lol, then you will be right back where you started.  

I just couldn't bare to ask these guys to remove malware from my XP again, they are all very generous but at some point a person just can't keep helping when running a very vulnerable, unsupported OS.  So if you get it worked out, you should consider Dual Booting XP with Linux.  Then make sure you are using some malware protection on XP and be very careful when browsing with, only use it when necessary.  I have been looking at the Malware removal forums and they are pretty busy and it looks like a lot of them are xp users.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Sorry for late reply, I'm still around. Will be trying and update you guys when its done

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

ry12, I was just infected again just trying to do some maintenance in XP.  It was my fault, just a mistake but that was all it took, one click and I had to Restore.  Install Linux and be on your way to surfing the www and not breaking your laptop.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users