Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no Ntldr (Ntldr Is Missing)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sacred Nymphaea

Sacred Nymphaea

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542343/svc-dllhost-high-memory-usage-ie-slow-freezes-wave-volume-lowers-2-5-mins/page-2#entry3456098

This was the previous topic.

So while somebody was trying to help me remove a virus, my computer was messed up.

It is my only computer. My house was broken into they stole my other one. This is a backup computer from my dads house. It has all our stuff on it. Pictures from when my son was born and there after ( he is 11, so there are a lot of pictures), my resume, school documents etc... there are no other backups of these items.

Also since this was are backup the DVD Drive nor the CD Drive work and I do not have a copy of my XP disk. The computer that was stolen had windows 8 and with support of Windows XP ending I saw no reason to keep the disc. >_<

When I boot the computer it just continuously reboots. I've tried booting in safe mode, normal mode and all the other modes it gave me an option to choose. I then tried to open windows repair. It then tells me that NTLDS file is missing.

When I explained this in my topic. I was told they Did not know how to help me and that someone else would Help me. They asked for help and when nobody came, they then said they would attempt to help me. The problem with that is they admittedly do not know what they are doing. I do not have another computer I'm using my phone to type this (please forgive typos). I really do not want to lose all the information I have on the computer. There is no replacing it. I do not have the money to go and have it fixed.

Unfortunately since this is my only computer I will have to respond to everything by phone. Could someone please help me?

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2014 - 11:52 AM.
Edited topic title - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Firstly, your data on the drive can always be recovered. The problem is you would need access to another computer to download some software. As you do not have access to another computer, there is not much that can be done. Do you have access to a library computer that will let you download and run software and also allow the attachment of a USB flash drive?

If not, you will probably have to give it to a good independent computer shop to recover the info off the drive and possible repair it.

#3 Sacred Nymphaea

Sacred Nymphaea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

I can go over a friends house... the library is usually closed when I get off work. I will have to go on a Sunday. It is the only day I have off. Yes I can go buy a flash drive and use it on someone else's computer. I want them to know the size of the flash drive though

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,961 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

There is one additional caveat though. I do not know if your computer can boot from a USB flash drive. Being an XP computer, it would depend on it's age. What is the make and model of the computer. Have you ever tried to boot a USB flash drive on the XP computer? You cannot boot from a CD or DVD on the XP computer, correct? It would be best if you could also borrow a USB external drive because I am not sure how much data you have on the XP computer. Do you know approx how much data needs to be recovered?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#5 Sacred Nymphaea

Sacred Nymphaea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

I do not have an external hard drive nor do I know anyone I can borrow one from.

It is a Dell, but I am not sure the model. I believe it was purchased new in 2005. I will look it up tonight when I get home.

No, I have never tried to use a flash drive to boot from.

No, the CD and DVD drives do not work. They both have the same problem. You can push the button but the device will not open. You can here a click like it wants to open but it does not.

40-80 Gigs or there about...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,961 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

What happens on older drives is the rubber belt can get loose and the drive door will no longer open. There is also a magnet that holds the puck against the disk and that can cause problems too. It may be possible to open the drive to get a disk in. Do you see a small hole in the front of the CD or DVD drive? If so, you can push a straightened paper clip, the large kind, into the hole to open the tray. If not, you will have to open the computer and the hole may be in the back side of the drive. If you do this make sure the power is off and the power plug removed. Ground yourself on some bare metal of the computer case first before using the paper clip on the back side of the drive.

http://video.about.com/pcsupport/Open-a-Stuck-Drive-on-Your-PC.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-open-a-jammed-CDDVD-drive/

#7 Sacred Nymphaea

Sacred Nymphaea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Okay, as soon as I get home I will try this. :) If it works I will let you know and we can go from there.

Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users