Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPv6?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

I hope you can follow this, I will try to explain in the fullest what is going on.

Windows 7, using waterfox...  everything is always kept up to date...

Basic problem...  one single facebook game I play gives me trouble but only once in a while.  Most of the time I have trouble, other people do not.  Despite this, I still believe it's at least partly on their end sometimes...  What's also weird is that even when I'm the only one with issues, no computer in my house can reach their servers...
What happens is, when I try to load the game I get "server not found". 

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.raysns.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Waterfox is permitted to access the Web.

The game is on facebook but on the servers at the above address.  When I get the errors I try to visit that address directly in both waterfox and IE... same thing...Can't reach it.  Meanwhile, it seems some friends can still get to the game.  So, something just isn't working on my end OR something on my end isn't compatible with their servers... or?  I don't know.  It happens once in a while and most of the time resolves itself in less than a day.  The only time it's a real bother is when there are timed events happening that I can't get into...  It is just a game but, it gets frustrating... 
The developers have been no help.  They used to just tell me to clear the cache and cookies(even after I messaged them telling them I already did) but lately, they don't even respond to anything.  So I'm not going to get any assistance from them...

Anyway...  just now I tried reaching that server through IE and I noticed the error message was different than that in waterfox...
Well, it was similar but had the option to fix connection problems... So, I clicked that...and I saw this...

Contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider

The DNS server may be experiencing problems.  Windows Help and Support can provide information about DNS.

So, just for fun I started searching for "DNS server not found" to see if I could find anything related. 
One or two pages I looked at talked about IPv4 and IPv6, and making sure they're both active....  (of course in one comment I read someone saying to NEVER have IPv6 active)
I know nothing about DNS or these IPv things. 
What I do know is that I decided to go into the network settings and take a look around... and even though they're both enabled...  I did notice that IPv6 says "no network access..."

I do not know if this has anything to do with my computer not reaching the server for that game...  But, I'd sure like to figure out what the issue is and the more info I can provide, the better... right?  :)

Let me know if you have any thoughts or would like any more info.
Thanks.

Edit:  After not being able to get into the game for the past 12 hours or so, I am back in it again.  Other people could get in while I couldn't...  and yet, I did NOTHING, changed nothing, to get myself back in.
How much of this is issues on their part, or mine?  I wonder if it is even possible to figure out...

Edited by millipede, 23 August 2014 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Sounds like the DNS servers your Internet Service Provider uses were acting up. It's been known to happen.

If you check your TCP/IP settings, and it's set to obtain your DNS server address automatically, then that pretty much assures that the problem is with your ISP's DNS, and not anything on your end. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the reply...  so, this would be normal for one site/server to give me trouble, and not others?  Should I contact my ISP?  The game wont load, yet again... and it seems that during the past few weeks, this has happened several times a week at the least.
Just checked, and they are both set(4 and 6) to automatically be found.
So weird... and frustrating.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yes, that sounds like DNS. You can contact your service provider and explain, see if they can offer a solution.
Another option is to log into your router's admin console and set the DNS server addresses there. I'd recommend changing them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are Google's public DNS servers, and see if that fixes it.

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

you had me til you said google... ha.....  I HATE google.  hehe...
I was debating on downloading comodo's browser as you can let it use it's own DNS thing...  Definitely worth seeing if something different would work.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

:) There's always OpenDNS as well. Server addresses are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

I just looked and I can use comodo's without downloading any of their software...
Question though... I see two numbers for google, opendns, and comodo...  When they're listed, which one goes where or does it matter?  in the settings, the option for ipv6 comes first, 4 second.  Do I put the numbers in that order?
Or do the numbers go in for preferred and alternate dns spots?  I just want to make sure if I change something, I do it correctly.  :)
preferred and alternate are where I'm thinking the numbers go...

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

Order doesn't really matter. The router will use the preferred first and the alternate only if the primary times out.
Note that all the addresses are IPv4. Give me a second and I can get the IPv6 addresses -- or you could Bing them. :)

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

OpenDNS IPv6 addresses are 2620:0:ccc::2 and 2620:0:ccd::2.

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

So, I want to manually change the DNS AND the IP addresses?  And I'm changing IPv4 and 6's settings?

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

Sorry if that wasn't clear. Those are the IP addresses for the DNS servers. Enter them in the router where it gives you the option to set your DNS servers.
And yes, change both the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS server addresses in the router.
Hope that's clearer. :)

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Thanks...  I had been trying to change it in the internet settings and it wasn't doing anything...  I got in the router and found just one place to change the DNS, changed it...
And........
Unless it's just a coincidence and the game was going to start working anyway....  heh...  it's working at the moment.
ISPs are great aren't they?  HA...

Thanks for the help.  Let's see if it stays working for a few days... 

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Since your TCP/IP settings on the computer are all set to automatically obtain their settings from the router, the router is the best place to change them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users