Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Groovorio has moved into my computer, Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Firbutte

Firbutte

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

I am still in the process of moving into my new computer and I have encountered this bug that I can't shake.  I first noticed it 8/21 so   
I did a system restore back to almost the purchase date last night.  I then loaded "OpenOffice" and AVG 2014 and Malwarebyte.  This morning I noticed Groovorio took over my google chrome search once again.
My computer experience is limited but it looks like I am going to have to learn a little more to keep this machine running.
Any Ideas?
Thanks for any help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 August 2014 - 09:31 AM.
moved from Windows 8 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Here ya go ... hxxp://freetechsupport.com/virus-removal/groovorio-removal-guide/ .

Mod Edit by quietman7: Reason explained below

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Here ya go ... hxxp://freetechsupport.com/virus-removal/groovorio-removal-guide/ .

Please do not use the instructions in the posted guide.

From here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

Posting referral links to non-Bleeping Computer malware removal guides is NOT permitted with the exception of well known security vendors like Kaspersky, Symantec, etc which sometimes release specialized fix tools with instructional documentation. This is because there are far too many untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information and poor removal advice. It is impractical for our staff to monitor and review all such guides for accuracy, therefore, we will not permit members helping others to refer to any of them.

This is a newly implemented policy.

The link provided by ElfBane contains a link to SPYHUNTER for "automated removal". If I recall correctly the problem with SPYHUNTER is that it will install and scan, but in order to remove anything you have to PURCHASE the program. I will find more information to comfirm this.

There is also an option for Advanced Support. You call the number. You are told they want to remotely connect to your computer. If you allow access to your computer they will look at it, say you do have issues and want you to pay so they can help you. While I don't know anything about Free Tech Support, I suspect the only thing "free" is following the guides they have.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

I have confirmed that that in order to use SPYHUNTER to remove threats you must register the program. In order to register you must purchase it.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

First, Open Office downloads can contain adware depending on from where you download from.

Second, AVG free installs adware even if you download from their site.

There is a website that hosts downloads of many of the most popular programs and the downloads do not contain adware.

The site is Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Use the programs below to find and remove adware and malware. Suggest you scan with all of them.

Check your browser(s) for add-ons/ extensions/ plugins you did not install and disable or remove. 

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

• Run the ESET Online Scanner.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Use CCleaner to cleanup temporary files, logs, ad cookies, etc. Use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and its

use may cause other problems. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck the offers of toolbars such as Yahoo.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Use CCleaner to check what programs are installed on your computer. Open CCleaner and click on tools, click on Uninstall.

The Uninstall Tool will show you all the applications installed on your PC and allow you to uninstall any you no longer use or were

installed without your knowledge.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

You will also wan to uninstall this virus from Programs and features in the Control Panel.

You will additionally want to remove Groovorio from your browser/s.

Remove Groovorio from Internet Explorer

Press Alt+T and click Internet Options.
Open the General tab.
Change the home page and click OK.
Press Alt+T and click Manage Add-ons.
Click Toolbars and Extensions and remove unwanted extension.
Click Search Providers and set a new default search engine.

Remove Groovorio from Google Chrome

Press Alt+F and point to Tools.
Click Extensions.
Remove unwanted extensions.
Click Settings.
Under On startup, select the last option and click Set pages.
Set a new startup page.
Under Search, click Manage search engines and click enter the URL of your new default search provider. Click Ok.

Remove Groovorio from Mozilla Firefox

Press Alt+T and click Options.
Open the General tab and change the home page.
Click OK.
Press Ctrl+Shift+A and click Extensions.
Remove unwanted extensions.
Close the tab.
Click the search engine icon next to the search box and select a new search provider.

Edited by dc3, 23 August 2014 - 01:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

I did a bit of searching the web for info on groovorio.

MalwareBytes Antimalware does identify and remove it. But still scan with the other programs I posted because

it is more than likely that other adware/ malware is installed and needs removing that MBAM will miss.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

After scanning MBAM will ask you to reboot to complete the uninstall of whatever it finds. Reboot and

post the log, please.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users