Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msi Installer and recent java update errors & possible virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 semiOverload

semiOverload

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

Hi,

I've sifted through your rules and the forum to find likeness to my issues, but i still have problems even after trying to fix it.  I've recently tried to install an updated version of java(8) but im only getting error code 1603 that says something about "installation did not complete."  When i tried to investigate, i think i discovered why my computer's been sluggish and getting other error codes -- Net.MsmqListener Adapter error 1075, Msi Installer error: "key not valid for use in specified state", something named PevSystemSmart which i was told might be a virus, and a very, very sluggish system for a long while now. I've run Malwarebytes Anti-malware and it showed no problems.  When i re-start my system it starts using up memory heavily even though i havent even opened a browser or program yet. Could i have a virus and may you please help me to discover if so? Thank you kindly

Toshiba Satellite

Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium dual T2330

Memory 1.50GB

32-bit OS

Super AntiSpyware Ver: 6.0.1130

Avast Ver: 140822-1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJH46

DJH46

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

I had a problem installing Java 8 update. Got two different messages: "Error 1603" and "Key not valid for use in specified state."

I renamed User/Appdata/roaming/Microsoft/crypto/RSA to RSAcorrupt and tried installing again. It worked successfully.

I too had checked for malware and viruses beforehand and found nothing.

#3 semiOverload

semiOverload
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hi DJH46,

Thank you so much! I renamed the file to RSAcorrupt and it worked flawlessly! I really appreciate your help. I'd asked around and seemed no one had an answer, then, exhausted, i came here in the middle of one night with some level of hope and, feeling quite intimidated after reading through the forums, threw it out there... lol. Thanks again :)

#4 mbin

mbin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:07 AM

Some internet searching on this problem ("key not valid for use in specified state") reveals that it's not peculiar to a single particular software application (I was getting it trying to update a program called iSyncr; others getting it for adobe apps; etc.).  But the folder namechange solution worked for me, and I suspect it will work for all applications in which it's encountered.  So glad I stumbled across it here.

@DJH46:  How did you ever arrive at that solution??  You saw "key" and just had prior knowledge of the existence & significance of this folder?

Elsewhere on the web I'm seeing cautions that this folder must never be removed or renamed.  And I see today that another RSA folder has been created to replace the one I renamed.

So what are the implications of all this.  If in fact the original RSA folder was damaged, How did it get that way? Does that imply a virus or other malware (e.g., CryptoDefense) at work?? What about this caution to never remove or rename it?  Do we break something by renaming the folder? Is there something we can do to verify that all involving this RSA folder is in fact well?  Or has this been a workaround that'll come back to bite us later?

Edited by mbin, 17 October 2014 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users