Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

9800 Pro Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 An@rkey

An@rkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately, I have no recollection of this computers specs, but I can try. The motherboard has an AMD 64 2800 and 2GB of DDRAM *matching*. The HD is an old, crappy WD 40GB HD. Windows XP SP2 runs on it. The Graphics card is a 9800 Pro 128meg card. The PS is an antec 450w. The computer has always worked without a problem, till I got the new one *on my previous post*. I had not used the computer for about a month except for a brief time, when I was just checking up on it. I recently was about to give to a friend when I found the problem. I loaded up the computer, but the signal was not being sent to the monitor. The monitor is a SuperScan Elite 751 Hitachi CRT. I removed the card and tried using the onboard MoBo display, and it worked fine. I could not figure anything out so I decided to format and start anew, needing to do so anyways to clean off games and programs that I was not giving my friend. After reinstalling, I tried installing the card and booting up the computer again, resulting in the same outcome. Is my card bad or is there a way to clear the Cmos or something to weed out any problems. Please take note, if there is something I need to physically do to the card to clear anything, it has a Zalman custom fan and heatsink on it, which covers quite a bit of the surface of the card.

--Casey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

You might need to go into the BIOS and set the motherboard and disable onboard video, some motherboards you have to disable onboard video in order for your graphics card to work.

-Nick

#3 An@rkey

An@rkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

No option to do that in the Bios.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

That may be in the "Advanced" section of the setup.

#5 An@rkey

An@rkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

How am I supposed to disable and enable the motherboard display if I cannot have the card plugged in? Even if I have it plugged in and try using the mobo, it won't work. The computer only works with the card out of the AGP slot.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:01 AM

Well it sounds like it is recognising that the card is there - most will switch automatically to the inseted card if it detects it.
I take it that it is seated properly and clean (including the card connections - if it is old, they can often corrode. If you need to, they can be refreshed by cleaning them with a pencil eraser)?
It doesn't sound good though...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 An@rkey

An@rkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

Ok, I just purchased another 9800pro and I am still getting the same problem. The mobo, RAM and processor are fairly new, and barely used. The PS has no problems either, so I am sure that is not the problem.....BUT, could there by any chance be something wrong with the AGP slot, since the old 9800 was weighted down heavily by the Zalman fan/heatsink?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users