Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copies Of My Files...?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

I just had a look at one of my folders and there is a copy of almost each file in that folder!

For example I have a file named Picture.jpg and there is a copy right next to it called Picture - copy.jpg!

Apparently it happened 2 hours ago!

What could be the cause of this? Could it be an infection? I am a little worried now...

I'm not even sure what more information to say...

Here is a picture

Attached File  filecopies.jpg   6.03KB   1 downloads

And here's a picture of the properties of the original file and the copy.

The one on the left is the original and the one on the right is the copy:

Attached File  filecopiesprop.jpg   187.36KB   1 downloads

I have Windows Vista 32-bit

EDIT: I uploaded one of the original files and one of the copied to VirusTotal and they both have the EXACT MD5, SHA1, SHA256 and ssdeep... Although I have NO IDEA what that means! I would think that that meant they were exactly the same...

Edited by I have a computer..., 22 August 2014 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

The usual cause of this is accidental drag or highlighted files of the same folder. This has happen to me a couple of times in the past when trying to move or copy files on a different directory. :)

Tekken

#3 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

So, I might of done it while re-arranging some files? I can just delete them and not worry? :lol:

Okay then, thanks!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I can just delete them and not worry?

Yes, but to make sure again of course is to double check everything before deleting completely the recycle bin entries so as you can restore particular files from there.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users