Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection on Laptop Keeps Going in and Out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JPV555

JPV555

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Ok, so strange situation. I have an HP Pavilion laptop with an internal wireless device (Qualcomm Athoros AR9285 802.11b/g/n). Yesterday it was working fine but this morning it would cycle in and out of being connected (about every 30 seconds). Signal strength is fairly strong (3 out of 5 bars) and the driver is supposedly updated. Like I said, up until today, it's been working fine.

Here is the strange part, if I take my laptop upstairs (normally it's on the first floor) and closer to the router, I get the 5/5 signal strength (obviously) and it retains a steady connection with sero dropouts.

Anyone seen this before and how to fix it?

Edit: Also, my OS is Windows 7 x64.

Edit 2: I should also note I have a desktop connected with a wireless adapter and even with a poor signal (1-2/5 bars), it's still connected and pages load as normal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

The most likely issue is you are getting interference between you and the router. The fact that you have to move closer to the router to get a steady connection indicates something is probably blocking the signal. Since it's a laptop, you can move it around. :)  Try setting up right next to the desktop. Make sure the desktop isn't connected to the router, and see if you can connect with the laptop from there. If you can, then it's interference.

Which wireless connection type are you using on the laptop -- b, g or n? If the router supports it, try using n. If not, use at least g.

The other possibility is the wireless adapter may be failing. How old is the laptop? You should double-check to make sure the driver is up to date. Type Device Manager in the search bar of the Start menu nd expand Network Adapters. Make sure there isn't a yellow warning icon on the wireless adapter. You may want to try updating the driver, just to be on the safe side: http://www.official-drivers.com/installer/?seed=Atheros&cate=Qualcomm&gclid=CNDZkP2pqMACFUVo7AodqSkAkg

#3 JPV555

JPV555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I suspect it was interference because for the past 3-4 hours, it's been working just fine.

As for the driver update, I actually tried that but it installed a program (each option on that page is a setup.exe file) to check for all outdated drivers but in order to use, I had to pay a subscription fee. Of course, the way those things are, there might've been a smaller link to click to update that one, but I didn't see it. Through device manager, I did right click the wireless driver to see if it was up to date and after some searching, it said it was.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

If I sent you to the wrong site for the driver, my bad. :o   :unsure:  I was trying to get you to the Qualcomm site. Only download drivers from the official source -- and don't EVER pay for them.

And this would be the correct site: http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/resources/driverdownloads/

Glad that's sorted out. :thumbup2:

Edited by sflatechguy, 22 August 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#5 JPV555

JPV555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

No worries, I actually found that site earlier today while trying to get an update for that driver.

Thanks for the link :)

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Still my bad. Wasn't paying attention. :nono:

At least you have the right link now. :whistle:

#7 JPV555

JPV555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Appreciate the help. I will bookmark this page in case it happens again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users